Monday, February 4, 2008

Welcome Home Dinner

Those lemons were still calling to me from their bowl, so I decided to experiment with one of my tried-and-true dishes, adding fresh lemon juice to my sister's recipe for Turkey Tetrazzini to brighten the flavors.

In the original recipe, all you do is saute some mushrooms in a generous blob of butter, add slices of celery and cook until they are bright green, sprinkle in a little flour and cook it in the butter for a few minutes before adding milk or half and half to the pan to make a white sauce. Then, you sprinkle in Parmesan cheese to taste, add leftover cooked turkey meat (we roasted a turkey breast earlier in the week) and serve the whole thing over your favorite shape of pasta with more Parmesan at the table. Liking green things, I contributed some broccoli florets to the pan with the celery, cooking it just until it turned bright green before moving on with the rest of the recipe.

To this basic preparation, I added about two smallish lemons worth of juice and stirred it in, then squeezed more lemon juice over the pasta as it drained. A little salt, a little fresh ground pepper and My Beloved's face was suffused with pleasure at the first bite. Welcome home, MB, you were missed.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything cooked with a "generous blob of butter" works for me :)

Monday, February 04, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mrs. I, you're my kind of cook! I learned from Julia Child - she was always throwing in a little more butter. If a little is good, more must be better, right?

Monday, February 04, 2008  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Home is _much_ better than teh _road_!

MB

Thursday, February 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home