Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Fishy

I have two tweaks on the traditional tuna salad to share today, one from a friend and one from my mother.

Years ago, my friend and coworker, Darcey, introduced me to my now-favorite tuna sandwich. In an effort to get herself and her honey eating more green things, she had the idea to mix chopped broccoli in with the traditional celery in tuna salad, stumbling upon a great pairing. Now, whenever I make tuna salad, I always include the broccoli, florets, stumps and all. There is something about the broccoli that jazzes up the tuna-and-mayo yawns and just brightens the whole sandwich.

My mother was another who got bored with the same-old, same-old so she came up with the idea of adding sweet pickle relish to tuna. Believe me, it tastes better than it reads! The fiercely sweet pickles bring out the savoriness (Is that a word? Savoriety?) of the tuna.

When I'm missing these two ladies, I make myself a tuna sandwich and commune with them mentally.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Adding celery would be something new to me. My mother has always put sweet pickle relish in tuna salad. It just wouldn't be tuna salad for me without this ingredient.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

my wife use to hide all kinds of vegetables in the tuna salad to get the kids to eat them. I am more of a tuna and mayo purest. I tried some meyer lemon jucie with good results.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, interesting what is custom in different families! Yours is like mine!

Greg, I like the Meyer lemon idea - maybe I'll try that next!

Thursday, March 06, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

Savoricity.

My Mom always added chopped pickles (not the sweet ones) and so I do too, plus capers and Greek olives.

Friday, March 07, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, oh,right, right! Savoricity it is! :-)

Sunday, March 16, 2008  
Blogger michael, claudia and sierra said...

sweet pickle in tuna? totally southern. they do it everywhere down here,

Monday, March 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home