Thursday, October 25, 2007

There's a Fungus Among Us

Okay, blurry photo, but it was a much better lunch that it looks. Three of us cousins enjoyed the Mushrooms on Toast as our main course at our CIA lunch recently.

There were several kinds of mushrooms sliced and sauteed together and topped with shaved parmesan cheese. Our waiter described the dish as sauteeing the mushrooms and a little garlic in generous butter, removing them, then deglazing the pan with dry sherry, cooking that down until it was a shining sauce, then adding a little green onion and the mushrooms back to just heat through. Then, pile them on decrusted toast and top with shaved Parmesan cheese. We all mmmmm'ed and aaaaaah'ed our way through the dish.

It was served next to a sprightly salad of watercress, some milder green, and tiny enoki mushrooms, the perfect counterpoint to the buttery fungus on toast next door. Simple enough even to make at home, I'm definitely going mushroom hunting at the market next week!

But, here's a question we had and the waiter couldn't answer - do mushrooms supply any nutrients, or are they solely a tasty addition to a meal? Does anyone out there know?

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Just the description sounds delicious; I'm going to try that myself once I finish with Open Studio. I love mushrooms anyway so I must have some hobbit blood in me!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

Yep. Now that I have income once more, I so need to go there. I have never met a fungus (on a plate) that I didn't like.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, you'll deserve a break after all that work!

Dagny! Dagny! Does this mean the bacon worked???? I hope so! Do tell!

Thursday, October 25, 2007  
Blogger Jennywenny said...

I think mushrooms have some protein, some fibre, maybe some b vitamins and they are very nice too. They are also low calorie too on their own.

Thursday, October 25, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I've heard mushrooms (some varieties) have medicinal properties, but I'm no expert.
Anyway, wow, how lovely. [tummy growl]

Thursday, October 25, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

Aw, you just need to find that button for close-ups and press it, that's all.

Mushrooms are high in purines, I know that.

Biggles

Thursday, October 25, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Jennywenny, well, low cal until you add the butter to saute' them in... :-)

Cookiecrumb, funny, mine was growling when it was served, too - and I'd just finished the soup!

Rev, I know where the d--n button is and I usually remember to use it - maybe I was trembling with excitement?

Thursday, October 25, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

That's it! Which is why I had to go for Image Stabilization or Vibration Reduction. Shaking and meat photography go hand in hand.

Biggles

Friday, October 26, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev, I laughed out loud! thanks for the Friday smile!

Friday, October 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home