Sunday, October 21, 2007

Skulking at the CIA

I'm still digesting the wonderful meal I shared with cousins J-Yah and Sher at the Wine Spectator Greystone restaurant at the Culinary Institute of America in St. Helena yesterday, so let me rhapsodize not about the food yet but instead about the gift shop.

I love beautiful tableware. I admit to having six sets of dinner plates and keep thinking I need one more. I actually drool when I see food service items that I can just imagine with food placed beautifully on them. I think it's a sickness but it's a benign affliction.

So, yesterday, wandering around the gift shop at the CIA, I saw this charming set of glasses, all clear glass but each a riff on the clear glass theme, and fell instantly in love. And, for once, this wasn't the sixth set of that size glasses that I own - we actually needed this size! They'll be perfect for juice in the morning or for the modern presentation of wine in stemless glasses. I'm tickled pink.

If you ever need a gift for a foodie friend, I can recommend a leisurely drive with favorite people through the fall countryside around Napa, with the golden vines glowing in the sunshine and the sky washed deeply blue by recent rains, to the CIA where it's a huge pleasure to skulk among the gift shop treasures.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

I haven't been up to St. Helena in some time. Now I see I have a reason.

Oh, and my mother suffers from the same sickness that you do. I once joked that she could feed a small army at her house and never wash a dish.

Sunday, October 21, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I, too, suffer from the plate problem. (And yes, Dagny, my mom has it even worse.)
J'adore those cute new glasses.

Sunday, October 21, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

Oh yeah! I took the boys and I to visit an old friend of mine that lives up in ... Calistoga? Yeah, so we were driving up there and as we whizzed passed Greystoke, I was completed surprised. Such as, "DAMNED !!! THAT'S THE FLIPPIN' CIA RIGHT THERE !!! see???"

And of course he drove us back that same afternoon for coffee and scones. Neat.

Biggles

Sunday, October 21, 2007  
Blogger peter said...

I want those. WAY nicer than champagne flutes. It is a sickness; I'm about to order a bunch of cool appetizer plates for Thanksgiving.

Sunday, October 21, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I can recommend it but go up the Silverado Trail as it's still a zoo in town in St. Helena.

Cookiecrumb, and I adore your gorgeous new plates!

Rev, I have a brother who used to work for the "real" CIA, so I always get stuff for him there. He enjoys the irony.

Peter, I'm always tempted by seasonal items like that - have to be forcibly restrained!

Sunday, October 21, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Greystoke!!
Tarzan!!
Biggles make funny.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home