Sunday, October 14, 2007

Souped Up

If you'll remember, I tried to make fresh tomato soup a few days ago but, despite the yummy ingredients, the soup got all the way up to blah. So, I asked the blog audience what they would do and got three really good suggestions, to which I added an idea I got from Moose's.

My Beloved and I are celebrating this week; he has had a rather significant business success. To celebrate, he took me to Moose's in North Beach (by the way, if you haven't tried it recently, it's spectacular!) and on the menu was a tomato-corn chowder. The chowder was really heavenly and it made me think about adding fresh sweet corn to my sad little soup.

First, I pureed the soup base. Then, we found some still-pearly fresh corn at Andronico's and added that. Namastenancy had suggested lime juice to perk up the recipe so I did a riff on that and added Meyer lemon juice (one lemon's worth to about four servings of soup) because I had one on hand that needed eating. I also swirled in some cream as Muffintop and Peggasus had suggested and the resulting soup is absolutely delicious!

The citrus sparked up the too-mild tomato base, the corn added some crunch and sweetness, and the cream sort of gentled the whole thing into a cohesive whole. Killer souped up soup, thanks to bloggers near and far, with a little assist from Moose!


3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Always glad to help a fellow food lover! Your "final" soup sounds utterly delicious.

Saturday, October 13, 2007  
Blogger muffintop said...

Aw... I feel that way about the food blog community too.
The new version is Power Soup!

Sunday, October 14, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Namastenancy, it really was, thanks to your suggestion!

Muffintop, yes, they are a fine group, aren't they? I like your new name for the soup - I'll have to put that on my recipe card!

Sunday, October 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home