Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lunch with Loved Ones

One of the small joys of life in California is lunching in the sunshine. Under an umbrella or right out under the rays of the fall sun, eating outdoors is a pleasure. Our recent trip to The Ramp in San Francisco is a good case in point.

My godson, Mark, was up from LA for the weekend so My Beloved and I drove into the city to take him and his Brazilian friend to lunch. We struck out on a sunny Sunday morning at a couple of interesting looking spots before MB had the good idea of trying The Ramp.

The Ramp is in the China Basin section of San Francisco, a funky, industrial sort of waterfront complete with immobile outmoded ocean liners and crumbling piers. Cheek by jowl with an active boatyard, there is a concrete ramp running down into the water, hence the name.
Don't go when the sun doesn't shine, as there is no indoor seating at the Ramp. It may not sound esthetically pleasing but on a sunny day, add a scattering of tables under cheerfully commercial umbrellas, a crowd of happy, hungry Californians, a dog or two tied just outside the seating area, some colorful characters and equally colorful food, and you have the makings of a party.

The drinks are served in plastic cups, there are no placemats and the napkins are paper - this is not a pretentious place - but the food is fresh and everyone is there to have a good time while enjoying the sparkle of sun on the water and the blue sky above. When my loved ones are at the table with me, I couldn't ask for more.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Hmmm. Maybe the next time my mother is begging me to take her there (She hates driving in SF but loves salsa dancing.), I'll give in.

Thursday, October 18, 2007  
Blogger muffintop said...

Ha ha. The Ramp.
Meatball and I drove directly there from SFO after dropping my parents off for their flight home, following a too-long visit chez moi.
It might have been around 9 a.m.
Martinis were consumed.

Thursday, October 18, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I'd recommend it - casual fun to be had!

Muffintop, I laughed out loud. Been there, although never done that! :-)

Thursday, October 18, 2007  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Muffintop ... nice to know The Ramp
is opened that early ... not that I plan on being there that early any time soon!

MB

Thursday, October 18, 2007  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Ah Ha! A hymn to The Ramp complete with lovely photo. I do admire your food photos - mine look utterly dreck. The Ramp is one of my favorite places when the sun is shining. However, I've never consumed martinis so must put that on my to do list. Maybe after my Open Studios the last weekend in October; in fact, after open studios, I will probably NEED a martini!

Thursday, October 18, 2007  
Blogger muffintop said...

Ah! Namastenancy is doing Open Studios.
Everybody, go visit. It is such a nice thing.

Thursday, October 18, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, where is your studio? If you'd like to publicize the location here, you are welcome to!

Friday, October 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home