Monday, May 26, 2014

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety-Jig

As if we didn't get enough fresh fish in Hawaii, when I saw this nice, big piece of swordfish in the market as we stocked the fridge upon our return, I just had to have it. I haven't eaten swordfish in probably 20+ years, as it was being so overfished that only small ones were being caught. When I was a kid, it was always my choice on the few occasions when we went out to restaurant to eat, but I couldn't in all conscience buy it for lo these many years.

This time, however, it had a green label at my market's fish counter!  Huzzah!  I hope that means the stocks have recovered.

We have limited cooking options while we are in construction mode, but we do have a charcoal grill and the weather was fine enough so I lighted it off and waited impatiently for the coals to be ready. 

The trick with fish is not to overcook - even a wonderful fish like ono becomes a dry, chewy chunk when cooked too long. So, I laid our beautiful swordfish steak on the grill close to the coals but not over them, flipped it often, and checked it for doneness frequently. If I do say so myself, it was perfect, firm and white but still juicy and moist.

After dinner, we wandered around the construction zone noting the changes that have happened since we were away. Still nothing to show a picture of but we were happy to see vents installed and switches that weren't there before. Content with our dinner and our progress, it was good to be home again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great looking fish! I go by the 1/3 white on the coals and it's time to turn it over, another 1/3 white and it's time to take it off as the residual heat will cook the rest through. Always works for me! Aloha,
WWH
The trip with Murray was a bust.... That's why the call it fishing not catching.

Monday, May 26, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Whiting, thanks for the tip. I'll try that. Sorry about the lack of fish with Murray - next time!

Tuesday, May 27, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home