Friday, May 16, 2014

Fifth Hawaii Story


I have worn flip-flops (or slippahs in Hawaiian parlance, or go-aheads - whatever you call them) ever since our family moved to Hawaii when I was about 7 years old. They are summertime shoes to me, and I never slip my toes around the thong without a feeling of contentment and comfort. I even wear them in the winter - if it's really cold, I augment with tabi socks, but usually I don't need them. My feet are made for Hawaii.

In Hawaii, whenever we go to the beach, we take off our slippahs and park them under a bush somewhere to walk barefoot in the water. There are always other pairs of slippahs there, as everyone does the same thing. No one would dream of taking someone else's slippahs, even if they are nicer ones. It's an unwritten rule in a place where taking one's shoes off happens multiple times a day.

I have even seen slippahs left to hold one's place in line, while the wearers go sit down somewhere comfortable. When the line is about to move, everyone dons their own slippahs and resumes their place in line. 

Hawaiian homes always have several pairs of the family's slippahs outside the door and, when guests arrive, they always remove their slippahs before entering the house. It's a sign of respect for the one who must sweep out the sand or the red Hawaiian soil not to track more in on one's shoes.

I guess the concept of not tracking dirt into the house is a universal one, but I've never seen this custom anywhere else, except in Japan where there are fussy little cubbyholes for your outdoor shoes. Only in Hawaii do you simply kick them off or slide them on and go. Have you seen it anywhere else?






7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Saturday, May 17, 2014  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Saturday, May 17, 2014  
Blogger Unknown said...

Slippahs ...Hawaii's formal footwear!!

Sunday, May 18, 2014  
Blogger Greg said...

I really like the idea of removing shoes at the door. I am a tenderfoot and have never been able to wear flips. Maybe that's why I was uncomfortable in Hawaii. :)

Tuesday, May 20, 2014  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

We do it in our house - we have indoor and outdoor shoes. But guests don't. I like the idea, but with our 2 dogs it's a bit moot LOL

Tuesday, May 20, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Whiting, slippahs no ka oi.

Greg, My Beloved found some slipons that don't require the thong between the toes.

Katie, as you know, we have a big dog who tracks stuff inside, too. Too bad we can't train our furry friend to use slippahs. :-)

Wednesday, May 21, 2014  
Blogger Diane said...

Finally catching up on your Hawaii stories. Loved them all, and your love for the place....like coming home for you, perhaps?

Thursday, June 05, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home