Friday, April 25, 2014

Cavewoman's Dinner

It has come to this - paper plates! I have always rather prided myself on using my pretty china and flatware with every meal. I was formerly above using paper plates, paper napkins (mostly) and plastic flatware. No longer. I have joined the wasteful masses. We went to CostCo and bought the giant economy size of all three of those items. 

We do have a sink where we could wash dishes, but it's up in the garage now, jury-rigged to the plumbing and often filled with sawdust. And we do have a hotplate for cooking, except when the electrician leaves for the evening, forgetting to turn the power back on. Ahem!

So, I thought, "What the heck, I'll do it all on the grill. It will be a little bit like camping, right? Right??"

I drizzled the asparagus with a little olive oil and grilled them until they had black stripes for accent, alongside our teriyaki steak from Baron's Meats in Alameda. Despite the hint of desperation, the meal was delicious. The asparagus were just tender and the grilling enhanced their nutty nature. Baron's teriyaki marinade is not as sweet as the ones we get in Hawaii and it has a distinct bite of ginger and a spice of hot peppers that was wonderfully eye-opening, not so hot as to sear, just enough to wake up the taste buds and lend a gentle glow.

Slice up part of a sweet baguette from Acme and you have a feast fit for a king or a camper/cavewoman.

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I think you are a trooper. I would be ordering pizza. :)

Friday, April 25, 2014  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Greg. We have done Chinese.

Friday, April 25, 2014  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Sounds utterly fab - and I am like Buzz. Chinese it is. Or Indian

Friday, April 25, 2014  
Blogger Toons said...

That teriyaki sounds like another sauce we know. Just sayin'

Friday, April 25, 2014  
Blogger Three Dogs BBQ said...

Looks good. I'm with Greg, I would have picked up the phone...

Saturday, April 26, 2014  
Blogger Diane said...

I love grilled asparagus. Good for you improvising!

Saturday, April 26, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, good idea. Pizza next.

Nancy, we can get Chinese delivered here, but not Indian.

Toons, it is similar, but not as sweet.

Three Dogs, I'll remember that next time.

Diane, it was fun, really.

Monday, April 28, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home