Monday, May 12, 2014

Third Hawaii Story

"No Pilikia, sistah!"

("No problem, dearie")

How many people would say that to you after you nearly ran them over?

Years ago, driving in Honolulu, I stopped at a stop sign and looked left for oncoming traffic. Not seeing any, I began turning right and nearly hit a Hawaiian lady in the crosswalk. She was a magnificent lady with flowing, wavy hair and a long, bright cotton muumuu, walking with stately grace across the street until I made her jump aside.

I apologized profusely and repeatedly, to which she smiled and waved away my guilt with a languid hand saying, "No pilikia, sistah," and continued on her way.

Only in Hawaii? I have never seen such graciousness anywhere else.  Have you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I think your love for Hawaii shows in every post.

Monday, May 12, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I'm glad it comes through. This is a magical place.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home