Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Worth Every Penny

My Beloved and I stopped at Belcampo Meats in Larkspur Landing the other day on our way home from lunch with some old friends of his. We were driving by and I remembered that I had not taken anything out of the freezer for dinner, so suggested we detour past their butcher shop.

We bought a pound of their bacon hamburger at a whopping $14 simoleans per pound. I am morally certain that it is the most expensive hamburger I have ever purchased, bar none. I even gasped a little when I saw the price but the longing look on My Beloved's face was enough to convince me to try it. I know, I know, I'm a sucker for that guy. So sue me.

I divided it into quarter pound burgers (roughly $3.50 per burger) and seared them simply in a dry frying pan. They caramelized beautifully, even My Beloved's, who likes his hamburgers still mooing so they don't get much skillet time.

The bacon was smoked but not overly salted, and I think they partially cooked the bacon before adding it to the beef. The hamburger was richly red and ground from grass-fed beef. I can state without any qualification that this was the single best hamburger of my nearly 67 years of life. I had an internal struggle with my gluttonous side not to immediately cook up another. I can't wait to try the other half pound on the barbecue, and I will be buying my bacon hamburger from Belcampo ever after.

If you don't live near enough to Belcampo to try this, you have my sympathy. It was worth every penny.


7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Good golly that's a lot of money!!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014  
Anonymous jann said...

Seems like a lot, but you would pay more for a burger at a restaurant and enjoy it less, so worth the cost for you.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yes, staggering - until the meat is in the mouth.

Jann, good point! Well worth it to us. This won't be something we have often, but when we have a hankering, we'll drive over there for provisions.

Thursday, January 23, 2014  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

If you and your beloved liked it so much, it was worth every penny.

Thursday, January 23, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, that's how we saw it, too. What the heck, you only live once!

Thursday, January 23, 2014  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

I can attest to its yummy goodness :)

Tuesday, January 28, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress, yes, thanks to Jeff rescuing them from the flameout! :-)

Wednesday, January 29, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home