Monday, January 6, 2014

Pizza For The Patient

The good news is that the flu My Beloved caught on Christmas Eve didn't affect his appetite very much. So, while more or less trapped in the house with my favorite sickie, I had fun cooking up a storm. Normally, we eat breakfast and lunch on our separate schedules and I only cook dinner. However, this week, he wasn't feeling up to prepping his own food, so I did more breakfasts and lunches that ever before, as well as dinners.

One of the more delightful discoveries I made is that I don't have to make my own pizza dough if I don't want to. My local market, as well as my local pizza parlor, are happy to sell fresh pizza dough for a small sum. That leaves me free to invent or refine our favorite pizzas. 

I love mushroom pizza. Given the choice, every pizza I eat would be loaded with mushrooms on top of the cheese - and nothing else.  However, I'm happily married to a dedicated carnivore, so we often add meat to the mix. 

This time, after heating my geriatric oven (and did I tell you the cook top died over Christmas? Thank heavens the remodel of the kitchen will happen early in the new year!) as hot as it would go and, rolling out the dough as thinly as I could, I topped this pizza with sautéed crimini mushrooms for maximum mushroom flavor and slices of mild Italian sausage.

Not exactly original, but all the ingredients were fresh and rich with flavor - we gobbled it up! 

Next time, many, many more mushrooms!  I am sure they had therapeutic value for the patient.

6 Comments:

Anonymous jann said...

Happy to join you for a mushroom, cheese next time. Love those funghi.

Monday, January 06, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Jann, okay, it's a date!

Monday, January 06, 2014  
Blogger Diane said...

Oh, it looks and sounds heavenly. Our newest favorite pizza place puts four kinds of mushrooms on its funghi. Sheer delight! Hope your beloved recovers soon.

Monday, January 06, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, four kinds of shrooms sounds just about right.

Monday, January 06, 2014  
Blogger Greg said...

Homemade pizza Yums! I love pepperoni,black olives and mushrooms.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, you have good taste!

Tuesday, January 07, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home