Friday, October 25, 2013

Newness

Guess who got a new camera!  

My Beloved gave it to me as an early Christmas present because my old and much-loved camera was doing crazy things, like shooting three or five shots in a row when I asked for only one, and refusing to turn off the flash.

My friend Sunny, who is a very serious and accomplished photographer, suggested this camera to me. She knows I'm not going to tote around a full set of lenses as she does, so she mentioned this one as being basic but good, all-around camera.

It's a Canon G16, still a point-and-shoot but with a little higher quality sensor and a little more sophisticated settings than my beloved Elphs.  We are getting along okay, but I have to admit this camera came with some mysteriously complex software that I'm still learning the ins and outs of. After five years with my Elph, I was very comfortable - it's the newness of things that buffaloes me. I may even have to read the manual - gasp!

Having said that, I really like the pictures this camera can take. It has such good resolution that I could photograph the eyelashes on a gnat, and it keeps the image on the screen for a long period of time so I can check to see if I got the shot.  After five years of shooting food before it gets cold, I'm pretty good at framing quickly, but it's nice to be reassured.

I also am learning the software - this shot was cropped. I removed some background clutter that didn't add to the story. It's nice to have some simple ways to correct when I made a mistake with an otherwise useful photo. I haven't done much of this in the past, relying on my quick framing and some easy lighting tricks, so it's a whole new world out there. Photoshop, it ain't, but it can do some nice tricks, like taking out red-eye and straightening frames.

It's all new. Pretty soon, it will be all good.




6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Good to see you there with the new camera. I use Picasa for most of my photo editing. It's free google software you can download, and easy to use. Just a thought. Happy snapping!

Friday, October 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, yes, I have Picasa, too, and have used it. My problem just now is how to import the photos from the camera to Picasa! :-) I will figure it out eventually...

Friday, October 25, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

oh boy a new toy! You can also use Picasa with the Cannon.

Friday, October 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yep, once I figure it all out! :-) Thanks for the lead to Shutter Bug. They were very helpful.

Saturday, October 26, 2013  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Cute camera, cute picture! Have fun with it!

Saturday, October 26, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, hey! You're out there lurking! Did you go to Paris yet? Tell, tell!

Saturday, October 26, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home