Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Nutty Risotto

Here's a nutty idea - use brown rice to make risotto!  I read about this on the Facebook page for Massa rice, and thought it was interesting if non-traditional. Massa rice is so good, so fresh, so flavorful you can enjoy it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, all on the same day, but risotto? Hmm... gotta try it to be convinced.

I used the usual technique for risotto except I warmed 2 cups of lamb broth instead of chicken broth to ladle in as the rice cooked. We had some leftover  browned lamb stew chunks in there, too, but the main ingredients were roughly chopped mushrooms browned in butter with garlic mince, carrots and broccoli florets, the latter two added at the end just to soften and brighten.

It took a bit longer to cook, as brown rice does, but not terribly much longer - maybe 10-15 minutes more of ladling and stirring. It's actually rather contemplative, leaving me lots of time to ponder and enjoy the process.

The rice was chewier and less starchy than traditional risotto, but the nutty flavor and springy texture were actually an improvement, not a detriment. The lamb broth made for a deeply, richly flavored base for the chunky meats and vegetables.

It may be a nutty idea, but it was a winner. I'd make this again and again. 

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

HA! I am ahead of you - I have been making risotto, pilaf and other rice dishes with brown rice and it's variations for years. I do like the occasional bowl of jasmine rice but as a pre-diabetic, have to avoid foods that are immediately converted into sugar. Have you ever used "red rice?" I think it's originally from Butan. It's chewier but has a delicious, nutty flavor. I like making a salad with it,using chopped green onions, thin slivers of ginger and topped with cashews. Yum.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

Brown rice sure is ugly! I have been using TJ's frozen brown rice as a side. Lazy but tasty!

Wednesday, January 09, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, brava! for thinking of this long before I did. No, I haven't tried red rice, but it sounds delish. Tried farro in a salad for the first time this week and it was really nice.

Greg, yes, brown rice is the homely cousin, for sure. Try Massa rice (you can find it at farmer's markets and at upscale markets). It's well worth the time to cook it - makes an _amazing_ difference. No kidding.

Thursday, January 10, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home