Thursday, December 27, 2012

God Rest Ye

After decorating the front door for the holidays, an enjoyable chore but tiring with lots of trips up and down a ladder, I lay down for a nap. Truth be told, I have a nap almost every day now that I'm retired, and I highly recommend them. Just 20 or 30 minutes is enough to give me energy for the rest of the day and evening. Cultures that encourage siesta are cultures we Americans need to embrace. Rather than check our email one more time, we should lie down, toes covered with a blanket, and zone off for a nice nap.

When I opened my eyes, however, it was to the memory that I had not taken anything out of the freezer for dinner. Oh, s**t!  After I finished saying dirty words, I lay there thinking about whether to call for Chinese food or a pizza (again), but then I remembered that I had four rashers of bacon in the fridge. Surely I could make dinner with that!  The longer I lay there, the more ingredients I thought of, and this pasta dish is the result.

We love the wide pappardelle noodles, so I started them to boiling while the bacon cooked. I didn't fry it to crispness, just to golden brown. In a wide frying pan, I then gently sautéed a clove or two of crushed garlic in a little butter before adding frozen peas with pearl onions until they were bright green. A tin of Dungeness crab followed, just heated through, before dumping in the pappardelle to stir with the juices in the bottom of the pan and the bacon, chopped into bits.

Served with ParmReg at the table and green beans on the plate, it was one of those quick, amazing preparations that sometimes occur to you when you are refreshed from a good nap.  

God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen, and Happy Holidays.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Pasta is a mood enhancer for me lately.Over indulged on rib roast Christmas and am still having a hard time moving. Salad for New Year :)

Thursday, December 27, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Bacon and crab, that sounds about perfect.

Happy new year, Zoomie!

Friday, December 28, 2012  
Blogger Diane said...

love the nap inspired recipe....yum! I completely agree with the 20-30 minute nap. It turns a long tired evening into a most delightful time of day.

Sunday, December 30, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, salad actually sounds good after the overindulgences of the holidays!

Hungry Dog, yes, and garlic, too. The best combination!

Diane, siesta! We need to embrace siesta in America.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home