Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Choice Beef

When it came time to grill the Belcampo Ranch tri-tip, it was raining and raining. And windy as all get out. Did I mention it was raining?  

I so wanted to grill that beautiful and expensive cut of meat outdoors but Ma Nature was having none of that. Well, at least She power washed my windows for me.

Luckily, we have an indoor grill, too. It's electric so there's none of the charcoal flavor that we love so much but, quite literally this time, any port in a storm.  I salted and peppered the meat lightly and rubbed it every so sparingly with Aloha Spice Company's seasoning called "Pele's Smokey Coffee Rub" that I picked up last time we were in the Islands.

Twenty minutes later, we had dinner.  This may look a little to rare to you but My Beloved likes his beef to still be mooing, and the thinner end of the cut was just right for me. Plus, when you make sandwiches the next day, they are perfect when cooked just this much and sliced very, very thinly.

Belcampo beef has an amazing flavor, deeply, almost darkly beefy. One can imagine prehistoric hunters grunting around the fire while tearing off chucks with their teeth. This isn't sissy beef, raised in close confinement, fed beer and massaged daily. This is manly beef that spent some serious time galloping around pastures before being humanely killed and hung in a cooler for many days before we bought it. This is chest-thumping, dark red beef, the kind real cowboys would eat if it weren't so expensive.

So, next time you want to get your inner caveman on, stomp on over to Belcampo Meats and have a good time.




5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Wow! It looks just right to me.That is the nice thing about the shape of tri-tip.The small end makes the well done crowd happy and the center cut make me smile.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012  
Blogger meathenge said...

Awwww, how cute!

Thursday, December 06, 2012  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

It looks perfect to me. As long as it doesn't moo when I stick a fork in it I'm happy. And I love fried Brussels sprouts - lightly pan-fried, not deep fried LOL

Thursday, December 06, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I am feeling my inner cavewoman right now - thanks to you. You are giving Belcampo so many good reviews that they should send you a comp side of beef or two (or three).

Thursday, December 06, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, you and My Beloved are blood(y meat) brothers.

Meathenge, only you would say so. :-)

Katiez, pan frying would have been a vast improvement.

Nancy, I have never once been offered a gratuity by any establishment I have reviewed. Rats! :-)

Thursday, December 06, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home