Saturday, January 19, 2013

By Any Other Name

When I read the word "rumbledethumps," it was a forgone conclusion that I would have to make the dish. I mean, really, how could you not make a dish with a name like that? So Harry Potterish!  I loved it on first hearing.

A little research taught me that rumbledethumps is a Scottish dish, a mixture of boiled potatoes, cabbage, onions and cheddar cheese. Now, those are all ingredients dear to my heart, so I was eager to try it for two reasons, the delightfully rolling name as well as the imagined tastes.

So, I bought and cubed my spuds, boiling them just until tender, shredded my cheese and cabbage (I used purple cabbage for color and because I had it in the fridge), and sliced my onion. I sautéed the cabbage and onion together in a little butter, mashed the potatoes and mixed them in with half of the cheese and the rest of the ingredients, packed it into a gratin dish and topped it with the rest of the cheese. Into a 350 degree F oven until the cheese bubbled and browned slightly.

And sat down to a tasteless disappointment. 

Even My Beloved, who normally can be counted on to take seconds of just about anything I make, held up his hands defensively, palms out. No, thanks. And, of course, I had made two batches.

Rather than throw away the rest, I decided to tart it up a bit. When I heated the second batch, I added butter and more salt and pepper. Enriched with the butter and zinged with salt and pepper, it was a whole different dish. The salt woke up the other flavors and the pepper added some spice, while the butter added a layer of richness that the original recipe lacked. Now, it was a very nice side dish or, in my case, a warming winter lunch.

I'm convinced that rumbledethumps by any other name wouldn't be nearly so much fun.

Doctored Rumbledethumps

3 russet potatoes
6 Tablespoons grated cheddar cheese, divided
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/4 head purple cabbage, shredded
3 Tablespoons butter, plus 1 Tablespoon for sautéeing the onion and cabbage
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash and cube the potatoes. Boil them in water until a sharp knife slips in. Drain and mash with the 3 Tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 of the cheese and mix together until the cheese begins to melt.

While the potatoes cook, sauté together in the 1 Tablespoon of butter the cabbage and onion. When the potatoes are done and mashed (as described above), add the cabbage/onion mixture and press it all into a gratin dish. Top with the other half of the shredded cheese and bake for about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven, until the cheese bubbles and browns a little.




6 Comments:

Blogger Toons said...

I guess sometimes it just takes a bit more butter and S+P to get the Rumble a thumpin...

Sunday, January 20, 2013  
Anonymous Buy Biscuits Online said...

Nice blog.. Thanks for sharing this information with us

Monday, January 21, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, yes, that's all it took. So simple and yet profound.

Buy, you spammin' me? stop that!

Monday, January 21, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

WOW - spammers will take every opportunity, won't they. I love the name of that dish but agree that it needed more seasoning. Of course, I probably would have added a chili pepper or two and some paprika because those potatoes soak up seasoning. But all's well that ends well like somebody said.

Monday, January 21, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

Nice save. Butter and salt makes everything better.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I need to keep remembering that about potatoes, that they need more seasoning than one would think.

Greg, you're right about that! :-)

Tuesday, January 22, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home