Sunday, November 11, 2012

Summer Re-Runs

Leading up to the election (and, by the way, HOORAY!), we slid back into summer. Hallowe'en had passed, rainy and cold and discouraging to the young goblins. I was cleaning gutters, putting away the deck chair cushions, and sweeping the fallen leaves out of the carport when November decided to grant me a couple more really warm, sunny days just before the dip back in to fall. After our cool, foggy summer, it seemed like a gift from the weather gods.

I gleefully donned my cutoffs and short sleeved tee shirts, put the cushions back out and settled in on the deck with a trashy novel to bask in the warmth. I never stop wearing flipflops but often, at this time of year, I add tabi socks. No need for tabi socks during those lovely days, however - heavenly bare toes!

Giddy with delight, I decided to extend the celebration with barbecues, corn on the cob and summer salads. We had teriyaki skirt steak and smoky mussels and corn from the grill for dinner. And, because Cousin Jan had brought us some wonderful, really ripe, late season tomatoes from her pal Jim Sartain's garden, I made BLTs and my favorite avocado-and-tomato sandwiches for lunch. Alongside our grilled steak, I assembled a version of a caprese salad, one that I will happily repeat once good tomatoes roll around again.

There is little so good in the world as caprese salad when the tomatoes are really ripe. Jim's are deeply red all the way through and absolutely gush with juice when sliced. They are so sweet that you really comprehend that tomatoes are, indeed, a fruit but with that little tang of an aftertaste that only good tomatoes retain.

The only change I made this time was to replace the usual basil with fresh oregano from my herb pots. I had trimmed back my somewhat woody oregano plant and it had rewarded me for the haircut by producing lots of tender green shoots. I snipped a few and stripped the leaves off the stems to sprinkle over the salad. It wasn't earth-shaking, but it was a nice change and I'd do it again. The fresh green leaves added color and flavor to the dish, but didn't cover up the real star, that perfect tomato.

My summer re-run was sweet, but short. Where did I put those tabi socks?

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I so "hear" you on real tomatoes. Yesterday, I went with a friend to San Raphael to the annual DOrothy Dunnett meet (celebrating the birthday of a fine writer). One of the attendees brought a tomato salad, made from tomatoes from her garden. Utterly delicious.

You are really a heat lover - flip flops in the Bay Area. LOL!

Sunday, November 11, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Nothing says summer like caprese salad. When you have good tomatoes, nothing could be better. And yes, HOORAY on the election. 4 more years!! Then Hillary!!

Monday, November 12, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, glad you got some late season tomatoes, too.

Hungry Dog, do you think Hillary still wants it? How about Elizabeth Warren? Nice to know we have some good women in our progressive arsenal. :-)

Monday, November 12, 2012  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I bought tomato plants in June, and just failed to replant. The exuberant little things tried their best to bear fruit, and actually there was some edibles on the cherry tomato plants. Off-setting that failure was the transplanted aloe vera I was given by a friend, after looking like it wasn't going to make it, not only turned freshly green, but is spawning little babies at its root! Let's plan a get together some time, it's been too long.

Monday, November 12, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, hooray for the aloe! I planted two tomato plants and only enjoyed two ripe tomatoes, one from each. Slugs got the rest. :-( I'd enjoy a get-together but we should email about that.

Monday, November 12, 2012  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

We are expecting 2 days like that this week - Wed and Thurs.... I hope it comes true, I still have a bit of gardening to do and it would be nice to finish in warm sunshine.
I tried to email you today (to take advantage of your offer to proof read) but the emails came back.... New address?

Monday, November 12, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, sorry about the bounced emails. Yes, I do have a new address:

hylandpamela@gmail.com

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get those nice warm, late-season days.

Monday, November 12, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home