Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Treat And A Half

A few nights ago, I cooked spare ribs in the crock pot all day. I had important errands to do that day, like chauffeuring cousin Jan home from a minor surgical procedure, so I knew I wouldn't have much time for dinner. I quickly browned some meaty beef spare ribs, deglazed the pan with red wine, and dumped it all into the crock pot with a coarsely chopped onion, a few mashed cloves of garlic, and a frozen chunk of lamb goozle from a previous meal. S & P, sprinkle of dried thyme, yadda, yadda. Set it on high, said a little prayer that the goozle would thaw, and raced out the door.


When I arrived back home, the house was full of amazing scents and the dog was nearly delirious with anticipation. So was My Beloved, who came home in the meantime to find me gone and nothing in the oven that could account for all that tantalizing odor. When I whisked the lid off the crock pot, I felt like a magician successfully pulling that rabbit out of her tall, black top hat.


We had a lovely meal of spare ribs on noodles that night, he loving the dinner and me basking in his pleasure, but the best part came the next day when I reheated the pot, fished out the last two spareribs, removed the bones and fat, toasted good Semifreddi sandwich buns on the grill, poured the goozle into bowls for dipping, and assembled sandwiches for lunch.


The beef was similar in texture to pulled pork, soft and falling apart. This is the kind of sandwich that is so tall, I can't get my mouth around it. I had to squeeze it together, so hard that the seeds dripped out of my tomato and fell with a plop on the plate. Dipping a corner into the goozle not only softened the bun, it flooded the sandwich with amazing flavor.


Next time we have crock pot spare ribs, I'm deliberately making enough to stretch to lunch the next day. It was a treat and a half. 


(And I saved the goozle again. It just keeps getting better.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Abracadabra! A great dinner and a stellar sandwich.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Another stellar post.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012  
Blogger Toons said...

Dang but you do eat well! I have gone thru a couple of crock pots and they neither one would go low enough for a slow cook. All liquids I put in boiled away! Even on low. I guess I'll have to stick with cast iron in the oven, unless you would like to give a shameless plug for a good'un?
Wink wink,nod nudge, cheers!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

If the food you're cooking results in goozle, you are doing something right.
AND! To think of sopping up that goozle with a sandwich... French dip!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, crock pots are like that - dinner magic.

Nancy, you are too kind. Please don't stop. :-)

Toons, mine is a Rival Crock Pot with a removable ceramic liner, so it's easy to clean. Ask Jan to help you find one - she found this one for me at a garage sale for very little $$.

Cookiecrumb, I think of French dip as being clear "au jus" - this was deliciously cloudy and hefty, heavy with flavor even after I refrigerated it and skimmed the fat. One of the best things I've ever made.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Is it weird I want to eat this at 8am?

I need a crock pot.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, well, maybe just a little weird around the edges, but then I'm not much of a breakfast fan. :-) Crock pots are da bomb, but you can do it in the oven, too.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home