Sunday, May 6, 2012

Californian Breakfast

Ever since I moved to California fifteen years ago, I have been relishing strawberries. Instead of two brief weeks in mid-June, strawberry season in northern California stretches from April (if we are lucky, it starts in late March) until October, and the berries are simply delicious all that time. Different varieties come on the market in a sweet parade through the spring and summer months. In a good year, I can still buy really ripe, local strawberries in late October.


As if that wasn't enough, there are also avocados. Avocados are a literally a gift from heaven, as rich as butter and better for you. Around this time of year, I get my first breakfast that features strawberries and avocados, both at the peak of flavor.


If you've never spread avocado on toast like butter, I'm here to tell you that you are missing a major treat. My Beloved introduced me to the practice, one morning after one of *those* (ahem!) nights, and that first bite was a revelation. Having been an avocado-belongs-in-salads person for the first forty-something years of my life, I was initially skeptical, but he urged me to take a bite and, frankly, I was so deeply in crush with him I think I'd have tasted live snails on his recommendation. I'm still pretty nuts about the guy and now I'm in love with avocado toast, too.


If you don't live in California, bookmark this post for mid-June when you can get really ripe, fragrant, local strawberries. Then hele on down to your local market for an avocado you can ripen on your windowsill until it just gives to a light finger press. Toast up some good wheat bread (my fave is Honey Wheatberry), spread on your ripe avocado, snuggle it up to a few perfect strawberries and prepare to have one of *those* breakfasts.



8 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I would hele on down, but I overshot and ended up in Kauai. Let me tell you how to take avocado toasts into lunch. And beyond!
:)

Sunday, May 06, 2012  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Oooo. You buy the same bread that I do -- on those rare occasions I buy bread.

And that stuff Cookiecrumb said about lunch and all... Open faced grilled cheese with avocado. Oh how I want one now. Actually I think that avocado can make just about any sandwich better.

I grew up thinking strawberries were for breakfast. Then in the mid-90s I met some friends at Ti Couz and ended up having this wonderful salad of mixed greens, strawberries, nuts and a balsamic vinaigrette. Changed my world.

Sunday, May 06, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Avocado on toast is one of my favorite breakfasts--and possibly what I will be eating in a few hours!

Monday, May 07, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

We are lucky here in Cali. The bounty of vegetables.I have never eaten avocado for breakfast but it sounds really good.

Monday, May 07, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I sit at the feet of the master.

Kailyn, I can hardly think of a thing that doesn't go better with strawberries. They are the bacon of the fruit world.

Hungry Dog, I should have known you'd already know about it. Enjoy!

Greg, I'll be able to hear you should "Wahoo!" all the way over here once you do.

Monday, May 07, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, that would be "shout" if my fingers worked...

Monday, May 07, 2012  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

That is good, but I like to add really thinly sliced mortadella, ripe tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onions. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Monday, May 07, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress, sounds like lunch to me - at breakfast, my stomach would rebel at the tomato and the onion. But at lunch.... heaven!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home