Wednesday, April 18, 2012

News Flash! New Bacon!

It is well established that bacon is its own special Food Group. There are grains, veggies, fruits, dairy, meat - and then there's bacon. In a class all by itself.

So, when my regular supermarket, Andronico's, lovingly known as Astronomico's, offers a new brand of pastured, organic, (relatively) local bacon, I'm all over it. Llano Seco, a ranch in Chico, CA, has been offering pork products, mainly chops and spare ribs, at Andronico's for quite some time, and I've been happy to purchase them there, but the bacon is new to me. I snagged two packages on my way out.

I cooked one up to make a tarte flambée for a friend whose husband is terminally ill - yes, the bad news just keeps coming this year. Her husband loves goat cheese, so I knew just what to make. And you get the benefit of a review because, of course, I tasted a piece or two of the bacon as I put together the meal.

This is very thick-cut bacon, perhaps the thickest I have ever seen. It renders slowly and resists crisping - the ends were still flexible when the middle was ready. The taste is lively and fresh with sweet and salt flavors, light on the smoke. It worked like a champ on the tarte flambée, playing a savory symphony with the caramelized onions and tangy goat cheese.

I have the other pound in the freezer, which we will enjoy at a later date. For all the good reasons that well-produced meat offers, I can heartily recommend this bacon. The other Food Groups are fine, but bacon is the best.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

I will have to suck up my dislike of Andronico's and go purchase some of this bacon. I have heard of this bacon before and have been curious.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I agree. Bacon is the best food group. Did you recently write something about the Bacon Bacon food truck, too? I neglected to comment on that but actually, that food truck and their little storefront live right in my 'hood. Dangerous.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You should be on the board of the US Health Department and set them right on the benefits of good bacon. Work on the pork issue as well so that we get real pork back, instead of meat so lean you need a degree in culinary science to cook it so that it's tasty.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son was visiting us from San Francisco and we had gone to a BBQ place to eat one night. One of the items on the appetizer list was thick cut bacon that had been covered in brown sugar and baked until it was crisp. We were laughing with the waitress about how everything was better with bacon and another son said he bet it would be good with ice cream. The waitress brought us a scoop of ice cream with the crumbled bacon on top and it was wonderful. We ate every bite of it.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, hope you like it. I still think Neuske's is da bomb, but this works, too.

Hungry Dog, yes, I recently did write about the BaconBacon food truck. You are in deep trouble if it parks close to you.

Nancy, I think the universe is handling that one - everyone loves pork with flavor and I'm seeing more and more of the good stuff, especially at farmer's markets and specialty groceries. The other ticket with pork is not to overcook it - it's juicy if you get it right and like shoe leather if you over cook it.

Tulsamom, oh, heavens! That sounds amazing! Did you all go immediately into cardiac arrest? Admittedly, a good way to go...

Thursday, April 19, 2012  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

That is one of our regular bacons, but it looks like you cooked yours up perfectly. I'm beginning to drool...

Thursday, April 19, 2012  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

Oh... I almost forgot... did I mention that Press in St. Helena offers a "Bacon Sampler" appetizer plate? Delicious. Definitely worth a try for bacon fans.

Thursday, April 19, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress, I will have to try the bacon sampler next time I'm up that way. Thanks for the tip.

Thursday, April 19, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home