Monday, April 9, 2012

Breakfast For Lunch

I'm not a big breakfast eater - at least, not a breakfast time. I love eggs and toast, bacon and hash browns, but not when I first wake up, thank you very much.

When we returned from the wedding in 'Zona, I found to my dismay that we had never finished our corned beef from St. Patrick's Day. It was lurking in the back of the fridge. Eeek! I hate to waste food! A cautious sniff test didn't reveal any scary odors, however, so I took a little taste and, sure enough, the salty curing had preserved it just fine.

So, we had breakfast for lunch that day. I chopped the corned beef in a small dice, half of an onion, a large shallot, and some leftover roasted potatoes, and added nothing but salt and pepper with a soup├žon of butter and canola oil to slick the bottom of the pan. I softened the onion and shallot first, then piled in the rest to warm and mingle.

I was sorry not to have a little parsley on hand - a generous sprinkling of fresh parsley would have made it perfect but, as it was, it made a delicious lunch with an egg on top. My Beloved likes his eggs over easy, to let the yolk run down into his hash; mine was cooked a bit more than that.

My recommendation is to eat breakfast for lunch more often - breakfast foods are often too rich for me early in the mornings, but are just perfect by lunchtime, when my stomach has had time to wake up, yawn and stretch a little, and get going.

7 Comments:

Blogger Toons said...

Sounds as good as finding an old $20 bill in my jeans pocket after doing the wash! I agree about breakfast is should come later in the day, for me it's about 1:00p. Cheers!

Monday, April 09, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

I's skip breakfast and dinner for a meal like that.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, don't you just love that - finding money in a pocket? It's like magic!

Greg, would you really? Tell the truth! :-D

Tuesday, April 10, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Well... maybe a little snack in between ;)

Wednesday, April 11, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, ha! The truth will out!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012  
Anonymous Katie said...

We do breakfast for dinner occasionally.... I agree that it's too much first thing in the morning but I love it at night - with a glass of rose LOL.

Thursday, April 12, 2012  
Blogger Carole said...

Since you love eggs, you might like this great collection of "eggy" recipes. Food on Friday Eggs

Friday, April 20, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home