Thursday, April 5, 2012

Retirement

I have been retired now for about four years. Four years ago, my work colleagues threw a little goodbye party for me and my favorite of them even went to Paris with me and My Beloved to celebrate my pau hana time.

The other day, when I went into the city to have breakfast with friends, I took the opportunity to do a little errand, see the Maharaja show at the Asian Art Museum, and eat a sandwich from the food trucks in front of the City Hall.

As I sat down to eat my lunch, I looked up to find the student housing tower of University of California, Hastings College of the Law peeking out from behind the Asian, and I thought the scene emblematic of my retirement. While my colleagues were still hard a work at the base of that tower, I had enjoyed breakfast with my homies, done a quick errand, taken in a fun show, and ordered a novel lunch that I was going to share on my blog. The only part of retirement that was not represented was Cora - she who gets me out and walking every day - and swimming with my Masters swim team.

After that lunch, I'm gonna need more walking and swimming.

8 Comments:

Anonymous jann said...

Love the photo that captures the distance between you and your former work place-close, yet, oh so far.
Glad you are enjoying it all.

Thursday, April 05, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

And a crazy guy in the street.

Thursday, April 05, 2012  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Wonderful when you actually take the time to remember where you were and appreciate where you are.... I need to do that more often - or once in awhile LOL. I love eating from the food trucks (good ones if you know what I mean)

Thursday, April 05, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Jann, so much fun!

Cookiecrumb, that's the Off the Grid guy - he was all over the plaza.

Katiez, the food truck craze here has really been fun - all sorts of fancy victuals offered in the trucks these days.

Thursday, April 05, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, oy! Well, that's crazy!
I am jealous; haven't food trucked yet.

Thursday, April 05, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I gather from Kudzu that they come to Larkspur Landing on Sundays. Not too far from you.

Friday, April 06, 2012  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Ms. Goofy and I have just joined you in the ranks of retirement. Soon we will share your whimsical observatons.

Friday, April 06, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, welcome to LeisureWorld! :-) I have to say I don't miss working at all!

Friday, April 06, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home