Sunday, March 18, 2012

Café Conversations

I'm taking an online photography course, a really fun one called "Slice of Life." It was recommended by Tea of Tea and Cookies last Christmas, so treated myself to the six-week course that began in February. It's very supportive and easygoing, everyone leaves encouraging comments when we post pictures to the Flickr site, and I'm learning a lot.

I am finding that several years of food photography has sharpened my eye for framing and taught me a bit about my camera, but still I'm learning from this course, all very interesting.

One of the basic lessons is to look for the light - where it comes from and its quality - as evidenced in this mosaic. Light is everything in photography. I'm also learning computer-related things, even though they are not strictly a part of the lessons - how to post pictures to Flickr, how to edit photos using editing tools, and how to make mosaics. So, I made this one using Picasa, something else I learned this week, editing some of the photos before making them into the collage.

I took this series of snapshots at Della Fattoria in Petaluma, where friend Bonnie, cousin Jan and I rested and feasted after a morning of taking bird pictures at a nearby refuge. The food was, as always, fresh, locally sourced and beautifully prepared. While I was eating, I was taking surreptitious pictures of the conversations going on around us. They made a fun collage of the experience.

Another bonus of the course is the chance to see hundreds and hundreds of other people's photos and how they interpret the six weeks of lessons. We get two lessons per week, so there are lots of pictures to examine, analyze and comment upon. All this for a mere $99.00 and a time commitment.

The instructor is Darrah Parker, a charming young Seattleite who has her own photography business. The students sign on from all over the world. It's startling to see pictures of winter in other countries when it's coming on for spring here; the mix of cultures is clear in the photographs as well. So, too, is the mixture of cultures right here in the US.

Slice of Life is a very personal photographic journey, teaching us the technical lessons through appreciation of our own lives and surroundings. I have enjoyed learning about the technical aspects but also beginning to see and appreciate my own world more clearly. It would be a great birthday gift for a pal, or even for yourself. It's like a café conversation with a friend - engaging, interesting and satisfying.


5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

From the looks of things recently, you're getting your money's worth out of the class. Really nice.

Sunday, March 18, 2012  
Anonymous jann said...

Yes, you are on a roll with your pics. I am running behind, but enjoying it too.

Sunday, March 18, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, thanks. It's quite interesting and I'm enjoying photographing more than my plate.

Jann, your latest pics on the Flickr site are terrific - see everyone's comments!

Monday, March 19, 2012  
Blogger Diane said...

Zoomie aka buzzgirl::great post about our six weeks of discovery and sharing. Really enjoyed getting to know you a little through the flickr pool and looking forward to the continued sharing.

Monday, March 19, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, thanks for stopping by! Fun to see your blog, as well. Enjoy your time in FL and see you on SOL Tuesdays!

Monday, March 19, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home