Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Heating Things Up

On a recent trip to Mississippi to visit his Mom, Jim Sartain bought this box of potentially hellish instant pork rinds and brought it back to share. He doled out some to different pals, including several packages in the original box for me.

Okay, is this where I admit I had never tasted a pork rind before in my life? Never mind a hot n' (sic) spicy one. Never mind a microwaved one. I'm all for new culinary adventures but I admit to a certain skepticism at the outset.

Here's the deal: you take out one of the little clear plastic packages; redistribute evenly in the bag the future rinds, which look and feel like pieces of hard plastic about 1/2" square and dusted with deeply suspicious, reddish-brown spices; place the bag in the microwave oven; blast on full whack for about 4-5 minutes; remove carefully, as the bag is now hot as a firecracker; the rinds have puffed up to roughly 20x their original size; cut open the bag and eat.

Some kind of wacky miracle has happened in that few minutes. The rinds are now as puffed as a down jacket and crisp, full of porky bubbles, as light as a feather. They are a tiny bit greasy, but not unpleasantly so. And they are SPICY! For me, on the threshold of hell, but then we all know I'm a spice wimp. Still, they were so good that I kept eating them and, oddly, savoring the burn. This must be how masochists feel on a good day. It seems a contradiction but, à chacun son gout, n'est-ce pas?

Whatever. I enjoyed the heck out of these little blasts from the Deep South. How Deep South is it? Well, to hear tell, when asked for a breakfast English muffin in a restaurant down there, the response was "We don't have foreign foods."

They may not know about English muffins yet, but they surely do know their pork rinds and I, for one, am happy to heat things up here in sunny California.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Jealous. I haven't had pork rinds in years. Absolutely love them. Might need to pick up a bag today.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012  
Blogger Toons said...

They are tasty but I think they need more salt. Just for grins check out my little blog http://yagottasmile.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, March 14, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I love pork rinds so am now on a search for this kind. Hot, greasy and spicy - three of my favorite flavors. Yum!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, look for the spicy ones. I never thought you'd hear me say that.

James, I chuckled at your description of the visit. I'll try salting the next batch, on your recommendation.

Nancy, you are not a spice wimp - you will eat these like candy. ;-)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012  
Blogger kudzu said...

Oddly enough, I was eating pork rinds just before I read this! I occasionally get a yen for some salty Southern things and I picked up these (Mexican version at United. Don't eat them hot (temp.), though, nor hot (spiced).

Wednesday, March 14, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, I'm a pork rind convert, now, spicy or not. :-)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

Hmm... I don't suppose you know of any microwavable shrimp chips :)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress, no, but if I happen upon some, I will buy them for you!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home