Saturday, February 25, 2012

Better

For about five years I worked as a floral designer in a wonderful shop in Greece, NY. I loved it all - the colors, the scents, the reasons people came in, the challenge of design, the hard work, the blessed air of the cooler on a hot summer day, the teamwork into the wee hours to get the holiday orders ready. There's real comraderie in a florist shop around just about any holiday.

Valentine's Day was the very busiest. Because it's a single day and not a season like Christmas or Easter, everyone wants her/his order delivered on that single day. And everyone wanted red roses, even if they ran in 10 minutes before closing because they didn't think of their sweetie until then. My birthday was a blur of arrangements, harried customers, and tired feet. I still think back fondly on those years, even though they were hard work, and miss those people every time I arrange fresh flowers in my house.

Still, my life moved on to higher education, to divorce and relocation to California, and to a new and fulfilling life with My Beloved. Over the years, he and I have discovered that it's better to celebrate my Valentine birthday at home. Restaurants are always slammed on Valentine's Day, just like florists, so they are often noisy and overcrowded, and the food suffers. It all seems to have the strained air of New Year's Eve, where everyone is determined to have a good time, whether they like it or not. Better to eat at home.

Better to eat lamb burgers with homemade sourdough buns and a slice or two of Love Apple to set the mood. Better to set your own table with lacy mats and red napkins. Better to get out the heart-shaped napkin rings that were a gift from cousin Jan and pour a glass of red, red wine. Better to toast your new life and each other.


9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I'm with you on Valentine's Day. Having your BD that day is like having it on Christmas Day. We try to do avoid the holidays when it comes to going out. A week before or after is more fun. Your plating is like a floral arrangement..nice!

Saturday, February 25, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Aw, Greg, you snatched the words out of my mouth, on Zoomie's plating.
Add me and Cranky to the list of stay-at-home celebrators.

Saturday, February 25, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I so hear you. My birthday is on New Year's Day so either the restaurants are closed or everybody is suffering a hang over. I usually spend the night with a friend who lives in a quieter part of town and order pizza but it's nowhere as lovely as what you describe.

BTW - I hate the new LJ word verification. I usually have to enter it a couple of times before I get the scrambled up mess right. Humph!

Saturday, February 25, 2012  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Much, much better :)

Sunday, February 26, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I actually like having a Valentine birthday - lots of positive attention. Everyone smiles when they learn my birthday.

Cookiecrumb, I'd invite you two and Greg to celebrate quietly with us but then it would be a party and it wouldn't be the same, would it?

Nancy, I hate the new word verification, too. I wasn't getting any spam - why did we need this enhanced security?

Ms Mouse, a friend of mine used to say, "Betterer."

Sunday, February 26, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Agreed. Valentine's Day is for amateurs! You celebrated in exactly the right way (both your bday and vday!)

Sunday, February 26, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, thanks for the vote of confidence! Would you consider coming to a local area bloggers party? I'm toying with the idea...

Sunday, February 26, 2012  
Blogger Cambay Hotels & Resorts said...

Its really looks nice & nice Post also..Thanks for sharing this

php web development

Monday, February 27, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Neesa, please stop spamming me!

Monday, February 27, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home