Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Down To Earth

Because we had been eating pretty high on the hog recently, when planning the weekday dinners, I was happy to find squirreled away in the freezer a nice big turkey pot pie that I made from our holiday bird.

Back then, we thought that one more meal of turkey would be enough to turn us away from that noble bird forever. We had roast turkey for Christmas dinner but there were only five of us at that meal, so we had mucho left over for sandwiches, Tetrazzini, soup, more sandwiches, world without end, amen.

So, I piled the last of the bird under a crust with some nice gravy and a few veggies, and froze it for a later date. It's amazing how welcome turkey is after a month-long hiatus. We tucked into our down-to-earth dinner with happy appetite. When My Beloved's first bite results in his sitting back in his chair and humming with pleasure - well, it's just a grand thing to witness.

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Gravy.......drool! Kick some Swanson butt.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012  
Anonymous jann said...

AND a real compliment after all the other swell meals you've had of late. Rock on Zoomie.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I wish I had one of those in my freezer. :(
It makes me hungry.
I luv dem pies, though I usually top mine with mashed potatoes instead of crust.
So hungry!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I had to laugh at your zinger. Thanks for the giggle.

Jann, almost a relief, it was so homey and plain.

Cookiecrumb, yes, I make two, usually, one for now and one for the freezer. Stored gustatory gold.

Friday, February 17, 2012  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Freezer food - wonderful! I didn't do a turkey at Christmas, but I buy turkey cutlets almost every week....
And your birthday sounds wonderful.... Happy Belated! (no comment about the geezerdom - I thought that was only for makes)

Saturday, February 18, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katies, I don't discriminate. Anyone can be a geezer, regardless of sex or religion.

Sunday, February 19, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home