Sunday, January 29, 2012

Quick Fix

I made a big pot of rice as substrate for my oven barbecued spareribs, and had two meals' worth left over. I like rice, especially basmati rice, but three nights in a row of plain white rice might strain relations with My Beloved, who likes variety.

So, the second night, I gently browned some cracked almonds (I cracked raw almonds in a little baggie with a rolling pin) in a dab of butter, then added the rice to heat with the buttery almond goodness.

Big hit.

So the third night, I did the same with pecans, and he liked that even better. Next, I'm going to try this "recipe" with Massa rice, which I fully expect will be swoonworthy.

Quick fix.

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Beautiful. I love food like that. Toss on some broccoli florets, and you've got a complete dinner. Though I understand Mr. B. likes to chew on some muscle.
Wouldn't it be handy if they sold string meat, just like string cheese? "Honey, just go get some of your string meat."

Sunday, January 29, 2012  
Blogger kudzu said...

First of all, "Ha!" to Cookie's quote.

Second: Charleston eggs (that's what I call e
'em): melt butter in skillet, toss in a handful of cooked rice to warm, then (before it starts popping and jumping out of the pan) stir in your beaten eggs. Ratio should be higher than for fried rice -- ie, more egg than rice. Delicious. Nobody will know if you add herbs of choice. Or chiles. Or whatever. Plain, though, makes Charleston eggs.

Sunday, January 29, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I'll be making stuff like this when he's away on a business trip. I concur about the florets.

Kudzu, that sounds like something I'd really enjoy. One of my favorite meals is fried rice, and adding more egg would just make it better. I will remember.

Sunday, January 29, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home