Friday, May 18, 2012

More Proof

WTH? Salmon with bacon?  Who ever heard of such a combo?  Certainly, not me, until this week when I had a single rasher of cooked bacon left from a previous meal. Not enough for a BLT. Hardly worth putting into scrambled eggs. Insufficient for bacon bits on a salad, or for sprinkling on a baked potato. But entirely too precious to waste.


As I got the salmon for our dinner out of the fridge, I spied that lone piece of bacon and thought, "Well, now, that might be interesting. What the hell!"


So, I put a little water, just a few tablespoons, into a heavy-bottomed pan, added the chopped bacon to render a little of its flavor into the water, then topped the bacon pieces with the salmon, skin side down, and covered it to bacon-steam for a few minutes. I have found that after a few minutes in the water, I can flip the salmon and easily remove the skin and the dark flesh with a spatula.


After a few more minutes, the fish was separating easily along the muscle lines but still slightly pink-orange inside - time to remove to plates and let it finish cooking with the residual heat in the fillet. While it rested, I turned up the heat under the pan to reduce the salmon-bacon water to a light sauce, then poured that and the bacon bits over the salmon. 


We inhaled that salmon. It was lightly smoky and salty from the bacon, but still wonderfully salmony as well, not overpowered by the small amount of bacon in the pan and sauce. We looked at each other and said, "More proof that everything is better with bacon."


Cora agreed as she licked the plates.







5 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

We can never make this dish. We have never had a single leftover piece of cooked bacon from a prervious meal.

Friday, May 18, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

What CB said. That bacon would have been inhaled by first door opening.

Friday, May 18, 2012  
Blogger Toons said...

I will have to save some bacon and give this a try. I am intrigued with the smokey water idea, very cool indeed, cheers to you Zoomie!

Friday, May 18, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

WHAT? You've never cooked salmon with bacon? I don't know where I picked up that trick but I've been doing that for years. Add a side of green peas and fingerling potatoes and you have a meal fit for a king.

Friday, May 18, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, that would be a problem, wouldn't it? How about deliberately setting aside a rasher of bacon next time you have it for breakfast. It's worth the sacrifice.

Greg, see my comment to CB. You won't regret it.

Toons, thanks! Hope you enjoy yours as much as we did ours. Made the sacrifice worth the wait.

Nancy, I should have known you would have already done this. Green peas would have been very nice, but the asparagus wasn't half bad.

Saturday, May 19, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home