Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Yikes, Stripes!

Now that spring has sprung
And the grass is riz,
I began to wonder where
The green garlic is.

Green garlic makes me wax poetic.

When I spotted some at our local farmer's market, I happily stuffed two bunches in my basket and brought them home in triumph, feeling like the original gatherer-woman.

It was marinated for a few hours in an equal mixture of red wine vinegar and olive oil that was flavored with a little salt and pepper, along with a lamb London broil that absorbed some of that great garlic flavor. Briefly grilled indoors (it was cold again and windy outside - spring is so fickle!), it relaxed and donned stripes. Still a little crunchy, it was mild and not at all hot as garlic is wont to be later in the season. Inspirational.

Cherry tomatoes are red,
The beanies are green,
Spring lamb is lovely,
With garlic that's green.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Tell Tennyson to move over and Longfellow to shake a tail feather. There's a new poet in town and she can cook as well1

Wednesday, May 11, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It probably wouldn't have occurred to me to eat whole grilled green garlic. But I have salivated for your roasted shallots...
Hey, I can rhyme on a dime. I just chose not to.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I was thinking more of Roethke, but whatever!
;-)

Cookiecrumb, you probably made the correct choice.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

Yikes Stripes Beechnuts got em! I have not been able to comment on blogs for a couple days. I thought I was a bad boy but I hear it was a system problem

Friday, May 13, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, aha! And it ate two of my previous comments on this post. Grr! Hope it's all smooth now.

Friday, May 13, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'll comment again. I said I was unsure I'd enjoy grilled garlic, but I've drooled for your roasted shallots. :)

Friday, May 13, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home