Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Morning After

I awoke, not in heaven nor in hell, on the morning after. As far as I can tell, no one I know is missing, not even my fourth boss, who was so incredibly hellish that I thought for sure she'd be one to disappear. *sigh* And not even my sister, who is the polar opposite of hellish.

Made me glad I had made strawberry scones for breakfast, just in case.

I used an old recipe from the Joy of Cooking, but modified it a bit by using half-and-half rather than heavy cream, adding chopped strawberries and a combination of salt and sugar on the crust rather than either one or the other, as the recipe recommends. I thought it would add a little je ne sais quoi to the scones.

They were wonderfully light and airy with a sunny yellow crumb thanks to the bright eggs from pastured chickens. The sweet, fruity pockets of strawberry goodness were really the best part; next time, even at the risk of weighing them down a bit, I'd add more strawberries. The salt-sugar experiment was fine but I'd probably use just sugar next time, a very sparing sprinkle of raw sugar for the sweet hit of the larger crystals.

I ate one of them warm from the oven, then wrapped the cooled ones and refrigerated them. When I awoke to find myself still here, I reheated one for breakfast (just as good reheated) and had a rapturous meal on the morning after.

Strawberry Scones, adapted from the Joy of Cooking (did you know the book now has its own website?)

1-3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2-1/4 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6-8 ripe strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half or full cream
A mixture of salt and sugar for sprinkling over the top before baking, about 2 teaspoons

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Into the first four ingredients in a large bowl, cut the butter using two knives or a pastry blender, until the butter is the size of small peas. In a separate bowl, beat two eggs. Remove 2 tablespoons of the egg to use as a wash later, then mix in the cream with the eggs.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the cream mixture. Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a few swift strokes. Handle the dough as little as possible. Place it on a lightly floured board and pat it out to about 3/4" thick. Cut wedges with a knife - it should make about 10-12 wedges.

Transfer the wedges to a baking sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper and I'd recommend that) and brush with the reserved egg wash, then sprinkle with the salt-sugar mixture (or take my advice and just go with sugar in a larger crystal).

Bake for about 15 minutes (my oven runs hot so I rescued these at 10 minutes and that was just right). Cool on a rack.




Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Nice!! I'll take the one on the bottom left.

Sunday, May 22, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Aren't you the homemaker? So nice. I've never made scones. Sounds good with the hot, soft berries inside.

Sunday, May 22, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, okay, I have reserved that one for you.

Cookiecrumb, one needn't be much of a homemaker to make scones. They are very quick and easy. Yes! Berry pockets!

Sunday, May 22, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Well, actually (and you know me), I guess I don't want pastry-like foods. All that flour. I am impressed by your endeavor, nonetheless.

Sunday, May 22, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, oh, right, right, right! I was forgetting for a moment your aversions. Why not try just getting the fruity pockets - some kind of warm, stewed strawberry thingy?

Sunday, May 22, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

What? When I could have them fresh, cool and whole, as Gaia intended? :)

Sunday, May 22, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I thought it was the hot, soft berries you were after. I like them best just washed and whole, too. Why gild that lily when it's perfect as it comes?

Sunday, May 22, 2011  
Anonymous jann said...

Thanks for sharing. They were yum, yum good.

Monday, May 23, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Jann, glad you enjoyed them. I plan to make more this week with even more strawberries and this time I bought a jar of Devonshire cream to eat with them. Wanna come down? :-)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home