Monday, May 16, 2011

Take Twodi On Gnudi

Because that first batch of gnudi made quite a number of those little pillows of cheesy goodness, we will have more than one chance to change up the sauces and try new flavors with them.

A case in point, the second iteration of gnudi made the next night, this time with a sauce that began with chopped onion and minced garlic softened in olive oil, then added spicy Italian sausage "meatballs" made by quickly squeezing out little bibbits from their casings into the pan.

Once the sausage bits were browned, I added chunked mushrooms to get nicely brown, then roughly chopped zucchini, a dollop of red wine and about half a cup of an uninspired fresh Bolognese sauce that I had purchased for a different meal and didn't finish. Oregano, pepper, nice. Cooked it all together for about eight minutes while the gnudi boiled, roiling to the top like little white fish, then netted from the water and tossed straight into the pan with the sauce before scooping them out, covered in a bumpy, tasty blanket, into our favorite pasta bowls.

This sauce was killer, really mouthwatering and satisfying all at once. If I hadn't carefully counted out the gnudi, we'd have overeaten - it was that good. Italians know how to build flavor into their dishes, layer by layer until it all sings on the tongue. Take Two on the gnudi was even better than Take One. And there are even more in the fridge!

I wonder if they freeze well?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Power to the gnudi! That sounds like a fabulous recipe.I'm going to save it and use it the next time I have people over for dinner. Otherwise, if I cook it for myself, I cannot resist temptation.

Monday, May 16, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It's a good thing your recipe worked out so well. What if you had all those leftovers, and it was a dud? I have made some very sordid gnocchi myself.

Monday, May 16, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, good idea but, if you aren't up for cleaning the house for company, make a batch of gnudi but only enough sauce for 3-5 of them. That can be your limitation strategy. ;-)

Cookiecrumb, one of the reasons I tried gnudi was that I had read that it's hard to make good, light gnocchi. While I'm pretty frugal, if I try something that is gross, I just pitch it. :-)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, yeah. No eating disgusting food! Incidentally, I have made some very ethereal potato gnocchi. It's possible. But I think I'd try your gnudi next. Such a success!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookie crumb, I'm sure you have! Ihope you like these, too.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home