Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Neighbors

Remember the neighbor who got a kick out of my strawberry-rhubarb pie? His wife is a good baker, too, and she reciprocated last evening with these, blueberry popovers.

Coming to the door just as we finished dinner, very timely because we were wishing we had something interesting for dessert, she brought us these lovely popovers to say thanks for the pie, which was really a thanks for cookies that her husband had brought over a few weeks before. This back-and-forth has been going on for years now. I hope it never ends.

She was concerned that adding blueberries to the popovers had weighted them down and caused less of a pop. We reassured her on that score - these were light as a song while still offering little jammy pockets of berry treasure. We have missed National Blueberry Popover Day - that was back in March - but you can find three recipes for them on this website. When you make a nice, big batch, enjoy them - but then take some over to surprise your neighbors.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Yum! I can not bake to save my life and am in awe of those that can. Fortunately I have an in house baker ;)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's a nice tradition you've got going.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, you are indeed fortunate. She bakes _and_ she makes killer onion soup!

Cookiecrumb, oddly, we didn't really start out as friends, but slowly over the years this has evolved.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I wish I had neighbors like yours! You live so far from me that I can't go and camp out on your yard and beg for crumbs from your table Whine whine whine.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I know your boorish neighbors don't deserve treats that you might bake, but perhaps a friend who lives somewhere nearby?

Thursday, May 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home