Monday, December 6, 2010

Bargain For Dinner

I am a cheapskate. There's no getting around it, I'm a cheapskate. I love it when I can make a meal out of nothing and have it taste like something special.

Artichokes. I know they are local because a) pretty much nowhere else on earth grows them and b) I learned in my botany class that there are varieties that bud in fall as well as in spring. Plus, you can't get them for 79 cents if they aren't local.

Italian sausage. I've been on an Italian sausage kick recently and had half a sausage left from another dish I made a few days ago - I call that almost free.

Rice. I had to cook more of that for Cora's lamb-and-rice dinner anyway (yes, her tummy is still unsettled), so just sneaked out a little to stuff the artichokes.

Onion. Found it hiding in the very bottom of the vegetable bin in the fridge. Definitely a freebee.

Shallot. Ditto.

Lemon juice. My Beloved's daughter Katie gave us a huge bag of lemons - a bonus!

Herbes de Provence. I always have it on hand and only used a healthy pinch. Can't count that cost.

Olive oil, just a driz for browning the sausage and softening the onion/shallot. Hardly worth mentioning.

But, combine them all together and they make a pretty nice meal.

I cut the top third off the artichokes with a big, sharp knife, hollowed out the centers and removed the chokes with a metal tablespoon, then stuffed the mixture of sausage, onion, shallot, rice, lemon juice (to taste - mine was pretty tart) and Herbes de Provence into the middle. Steamed the whole thing for about 30 minutes, until the bottom of the artichokes was easily pierced with a knife.

Not bad for a budget dinner.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Artichokes are close to my favorite vegetable. You know asparagus are number one.

Monday, December 06, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Fancy! I can just see a hefty squirt of lemon on it. I know you love tart, and art(ichoke) is fine with that.

My two little art plants in the front yard are thrilled with the cool weather and rain. No globes yet, that I can see.

Monday, December 06, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Chilebrown: Asparagus are number one because they make your number one smell funny.

Monday, December 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I can't decide between those two, myself. Love 'em both!

Cookiecrumb, I put the heft squirt of lemon in rather than on but the effect was the same - tart! Glad to hear your arts are still in there pitching, even if there aren't yet any buds.

Monday, December 06, 2010  
Blogger chilebrown said...

Cookiecrumb, It is good thing my number two does not stink.

Monday, December 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb and Chilebrown, this childish bathroom humor has got to stop! :-)

Tuesday, December 07, 2010  
Anonymous Meredith Prock said...

Definitely not a cheapskate; frugal when need be. And most of all, creative to the nth degree.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home