Thursday, June 24, 2010

Showmanship

I wish I had had the forethought to take a video of the presentation of my sweet pea gazpacho, the first course I chose at Murray Circle. It was done with dramatic flourish and delightful showmanship.

First, the square bowl was placed in front of me. It contained a thin, round, frozen wafer of citrus juice underlaid by minced fresh peas and green garlic tucked underneath. Then, the waiter poured the cold fresh pea soup, lightly flavored with serrano chilis, over the wafer, partially melting it. I spooned up the soup by breaking through the tangy crust of OJ to scoop some of the peas and green garlic along with the crunchy citrus juice and velvety smooth soup. What a wonderful, lively combination they all made, as green as Ireland and as fresh as spring on the first day of summer.

Showmanship alone never floats my boat but when it accompanies a dish as sophisticated and well conceived as this one, it adds to the enjoyment of the experience. The beautiful day, the beautiful surroundings, the beautiful dish all added up to a memorable outing with My Beloved.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

We enjoy showmanship at the dining table. Harrah's steak house (Reno) is the perfect example. Caesar salad, steak diane,and the show stopper 'Cafe Diablo' are all made at tableside. It is a dinner show extravaganza.

Thursday, June 24, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Gah! It is gorgeous. I haven't tried it; out of season when I visited the restaurant.
Do you think you might try a simple re-creation of this at home? You know you could. It would be fun.
Maybe I'll give it a whirl, but the peas at the market have been starchy.

Chilebrown: Who needs chefs when waiters do all the wonders? Does Bob Hope stop by and mix you a martini tableside? xoxo

Thursday, June 24, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Cookiecrumb, Who is Bob Hope? That must of been way before my time.

Thursday, June 24, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, wow, that must have been quite the show! Better than the floor show!

Cookiecrumb, yes, market peas over here have been quite starchy this year. I'd rather go and have them make it for me and serve it with a view. :-)

Friday, June 25, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home