Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pizza Trial

We made pizzas from scratch this week, three small rounds, and topped them with everything we could find in the fridge: Italian sausage; Swiss and mozzarella cheeses; sweet peppers; arugula; zucchini slices; roasted tomatoes; onions both green and white; broccoli; duxelles; bacon; tomato sauce with oregano; fresh sliced Paul Robeson tomatoes in different combinations, then each of us tasted all of them.

Raised the pizza dough three times. Grilled above a hot fire on the Weber grill, flipped, topped the seared side, then baked on the grill again, covered this time, to crisp the bottom and melt the cheeses. Another time, I'd pre-cook some of the veggies - it cooks so fast this way that the veggies were essentially raw.

And I'm still looking for the perfect pizza crust. This one, from Sunset magazine, was good - and we loved the blistery, dark places where the dough was stretched thinner - but not as yeasty-tasting and chewy as I like. Still, it was a fun experiment and one we'll enjoy repeating. We froze the other three crusts uncooked, so it will be even easier next time we have a pizza trial.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Staff of life if you ask me.

Thursday, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, if I had to be stranded on a desert island with just one food, it would have to be pizza.

Thursday, August 27, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

[I saw frozen gluten-free pizza dough at Mollie Stone's yesterday. Weep, weep.]

Stunning pizza trials! Did you have a favorite? (I know. As long as there's cheese on it.)

Thursday, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

I burned my last attempt at pizza on the grill but will continue to strive for perfection. Love your choice of toppings.

Thursday, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Denise | Chez Danisse said...

I tried this pizza dough and liked it a lot!

http://www.oldsweetsong.com/2009/07/homemade-pizza-dough-im-a-convert/

Thursday, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

3 rises? Wow, my poor pizza dough is luck to get 1.

Thursday, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Pizza! Pizza! Pizza! Thin grilled crust! Pizza! YES! Want!

Thursday, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you must start reading "Gluten Free Girl" - I'm almost certain she would have a good pizza dough recipe for you.

Greg, it's easy to do, buddy, we nearly did, too, as you can see! Everything but the kitchen sink!

Denise, thank you, now I have two new ones to try.

Morgan, yup, how's that for foodie?

Nancy, you'll have to come over one of these days and we'll decorate some dough.

Friday, August 28, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

READ Gluten-Free Girl? Heck, Zoomie, I badger her. I bother her. I e-mail her. And I adore her daughter. She has reason to be afraid of me.

Friday, August 28, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I'm glad to hear you are on her case - she's great and she'll have a lot of the answers for you. Nice lady, nice husband, adorable kid.

Friday, August 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home