Friday, February 13, 2009

Woodchuck and Groundhog

My Beloved's mother called this Woodchuck, because she made it in a sort of free-form loaf shape that resembled nothing so much as a baked woodchuck. Cookiecrumb would call it Groundhog, 'cause she's so clever. Actually, it's both, a meat loaf made with both grass fed ground round beef and mild Italian pork sausage (ground hog, get it?).

I use roughly equal portions of the two meats, plus sauteed chopped celery and onion, minced garlic and bread torn in bits. I add an egg and a splash of milk and moosh all that together until it's fairly evenly distributed, then mound it into a baking pan and bake it for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees, until the uneven top is almost crispy in spots but the interior is still moist.

My friend Annie calls this Meat Lump. No matter what you call it, it makes My Beloved smile when he comes home to dinner that features Woodchuck and Groundhog.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

all I can say is … .

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, both My Beloved and I laughed aloud when we saw the cat/meatloaf sketch!

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger meathenge said...

Oh yeah !!!

Or form it on a cookie sheet, cook. Then slather with mashed taters like a frosting and brush with butter, brown in a hot oven.

Oh yeah.

xo, Biggles

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Back in my meat eating days, I used to use this mixture to brown and then add to spaghetti sauce. Mmm mmm good!

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev. Biggles, oh, that does sound good!

Anna, including the bread? Interesting!

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

So, it's a meatloaf, but not all squished into meatloaf shape. That sounds more interesting. And I like Biggles' idea to just throw it on a sheet. (And taters, too; damn, tummy rumbling.)
I can't believe you call it Woodchuck! Family nicknames are so doggone cute.

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Wish the woodchuck moniker was my idea but actually it was MB's Mom's. I stole it, however, as I loved it!

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger anonymous said...

This page is making me hungry... and I just ate! Darn you!

jk, jk

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

StuntYourMoped, meat loaf does that, doesn't it?

Friday, February 13, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Actually I've heard of bread being added, but I stopped at the mixed meat and celery/onion combo.

Saturday, February 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home