Saturday, February 21, 2009

Valentine Waffles

My Beloved spoils me. It's true. He makes a big deal out of my birthday every year and, in between, finds hundreds of other ways to show his affection. I know just how lucky I am.

He started my birthday this year with heart-shaped waffles, complete with Bisquick and real maple syrup.

He learned how to make waffles while his daughters were still little girls; they are grownups now, but he still likes to make waffles every now and then and remember how his tiny Katie would put away many more waffles at a sitting than his bigger girl, Sarah.

This waffle iron, one of three that I own, was a gift years ago from my friend Wenirs, who couldn't resist the lure of heart-shaped waffles - she comes from a long line of wafflers, too, and her sour cream waffles are to die for. She makes them for us when we visit her in Michigan.

When I was growing up, my mother made waffles from scratch while we were at church with my Dad. He'd shush us when we got restless, put what seemed to us to be enormous donations in the offering basket and, even when we were very small children, let us drive home steering while seated on his lap as he worked the clutch and gas pedals. I think it was his way of giving Mom a morning off, as we all got to take turns behind the wheel if we had been good in church and that took some time.

Mom also made waffles, very occasionally, when she was sick to death of cooking and couldn't face the stove. Then, she'd put pieces of bacon in the waffle batter and call it a meal. Needless to say, this was one of our all-time favorites, generally served when Dad was out to sea.

Our syrup came in a little tin can shaped like a log cabin; when I moved to Western New York, however, I learned the joy of real maple syrup and have never looked back. It's a pricey luxury but one for which I am more than willing to pay.

When I eat waffles these days, all these little associations come back with each sweet, sticky bite. They all make waffles for a birthday breakfast one of the very best ways to spoil a girl. Husbands, lovers and significant others, take note!


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Stuart's is today and we made blueberry pancakes from scratch but last weekend he made his waffles from scratch and they were delicious....yours sound wonderful as well!!!

Enjoy the day!

Saturday, February 21, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

He's a Sweet Heart.

Saturday, February 21, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Happy Birthday Zoomie! You's such a lucky gal!

Saturday, February 21, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Melissa, thanks and happy birthday to Stuart!

Cookiecrumb, amen to that!

Anna, thanks for the birthday wishes and I know. :-)

Saturday, February 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home