Friday, February 20, 2009

Fish and Fudge

When Cousin J-Yah comes down from Petaluma to visit, I never know what goodies she will bring with her. Sometimes, it's kitchen magic, other times it's a mystery, but it's always slightly surprising.

Last week, in honor of my Social Security birthday (62 - I'm not waiting, in case they run out!), she brought me fish and fudge. See what I mean?

Here's one of the pieces of fish, a lovely mild snapper that she purchased from her "fish man," to date a mystery figure. I've gotta meet this guy, however, as he has wonderfully fresh fish.

I prepared it simply by brushing it on both sides with olive oil and broiling it on one side only, 6-8 inches from the broiler until done, just about five minutes, then brushed with a butter melted with lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano and pepper to taste. I broiled a fresh tomato at the same time, drizzled with some olive oil and brushed with the same butter once it came out. Delicious. Scrumptious, in fact. But, next time, I'd try broiling the butter, too, as I think the nutty flavor of the cooked butter might have been even better.

J-Yah also brought us a nice big piece of salmon; stay tuned. And I'm thinking about what to do with the fudge, too.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Deetsa said...

A nice piece of fresh fish only needs a simple prep. Snapper is a lovely fish. I'd love to have some now that you've written about it. I wonder if my neighbour has caught some. I'll have to ask now ;-)

What kind of salmon did you get? Atlantic or Pacific?

Friday, February 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nerissa, I usually buy wild salmon, so it would be one of the Pacific species caught off California.

Friday, February 20, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I adore snapper too. But I thought it was on the endangered list. Maybe just the kind of snapper I was buying...

Friday, February 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I didn't think of that, I must admit. It would be like looking a gift snapper in the mouth.

Friday, February 20, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Some species are but I can't find a good link to post here. I remember the red snapper that we used to get in Trinidad- my dad would grill it and then, we'd serve it with a side of grilled tropical fruits, tomatoes, onions and I don't know what else. It was a beautiful sight.

Friday, February 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, you should do a painting of it from memory - it sounds spectacular.

Friday, February 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home