Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Major Meat

Bay area carnivores, take note.

This is the "petite" portion of corned beef served to me by the paradoxically Mexican chefs at the perfectly named RoastHaus restaurant in Terra Linda, a neighborhood in San Rafael, Marin County.

This place specializes in roasts. The day we were there, the offerings were roast beef (and, yes, you can get it rare), corned beef, real turkey (not turkey "loaf," whatever that is), pastrami and, I think, pork roast. You can have a sandwich or a platter - both are made up while you wait and you can take out or eat at this clean-but-unimaginative restaurant.

Nothing fancy but far better than the other food offered in that little strip mall. Too much to finish, but they had boxes already set out for taking home the rest - this must be a common request because you don't even have to ask for the boxes.

Many years ago, my older brother brought his four children, three of them teenagers, to visit me. In a single meal, they ate two entire legs of lamb and were looking around for more. If they come again, I'm ready - I'll just take them to the RoastHaus and stand back.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger meathenge said...

OH man, I love roasts. Will have to go for sure, I'll bring my sister and her husband. They love roasts too.

Biggles

Tuesday, October 07, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

Lord, I haven't been there in forever, but that photo had me almost reaching for my car keys. Thanks for jogging my memory! I think they still make those great roast beef sandwiches with real brown gravy and mashed taters, something I survived on in college (from a Greek diner, no Mexicans, no Greek food).

Tuesday, October 07, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

teenagers, particularly boy ones, it amazes me how much food they can put away in a sitting.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gawd that looks good! Guy & I used to eat there on a regular basis when we worked on Las Gallinas (just behind the restaurant). It's hard to find places like this nowadays.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev. Biggles, I'm sure you will enjoy this place - not fancy but still pretty darn good.

Kudzu, they were still making those sandwiches when we were there - worth the trip!

Morgan, amen to that! Two of my brother's kids were boys with simply gargantuan appetites - and the girl was no slouch, either! Such fun to have them, it was!

Evlmprs, I never knew you worked in San Rafael! I'll have to catch up with that story one day soon!

Wednesday, October 08, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

Good golly that's a lot of food. They have been there a long time and always do a great job

Wednesday, October 08, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Zoomie: An even better restaurant in that pathetic strip mall is Sonoma Taqueria. Just up to the right. Awesome burritos, super salsas, like that.
Call me, jeepers!
Biggles, you too.
Kudzu? Hello?

Who is evlmprs??? :D

Wednesday, October 08, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, it seems I'm the last to know about this good place!

Cookiecrumb, okay, next time we find ourselves over your way, we'll call and see if you want a belly-busting meal at RoastHaus or the Sonoma Taqueria. And thanks for the tip.

Oh, and the Evil Empress (Evlmprs)is a friend of mine who doesn't blog but enjoys reading food blogs. She's very, very cool. Lives in San Francisco. Couldn't come to the picnic - I did invite her.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008  
Blogger Kitt said...

Holy cow, that's a lot of meat! I love corned beef. I'd be in heaven.

Saturday, October 11, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, me, too - must be my Irish ancestry.

Sunday, October 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home