Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Garden's Last Gasp

See that ripe, red, juicy, gorgeous Brandywine tomato? I grew that. I'm proud.

I'd be truly puffed up if I had managed to grow more than one, but one is all we got from that plant this year.

Oh, well... at least it was delicious, as perfectly sweet and tasty a tomato as everI have eaten. It fell off the vine into my palm this morning and ended up simply sliced on our plates this evening. Lovely.

Don't stop there! The zucchini boat in the picture also came from the garden, one of those sneaky ones that hides under those platter-sized leaves until it attains approximate shape and heft of a cudgel. I scooped out the seedy part and filled the boat with a mixture of garlic, onion, fennel, sweet pepper, chicken apple sausage ballettes (new word, I just invented it) and little bread cubes, all sauteed in olive oil before inserting in the boats and baking in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Quite tasty.

Oh, there will be another zucchini or two and perhaps a handfull of green beans but this is the last true offering from the funny little garden I planted this year, all tucked in among the daisies and irises. I noticed some strawberry plants at the market this morning and I must admit I was tempted to plant some of those for next year's garden.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Gorgeous little garden, darling. You did a good job.

Thursday, September 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you got one tomato. Alas, no real garden as no place to put one but I'm tempted to try to grow stuff in pots on my patio next year.

Thursday, September 25, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I have to admit, it was kinda fun, even though not all that productive. I had envisioned supplying our whole street with veggies but there really weren't enough to share.

Mrs. I, I'm thinking of pots for next year, too, to maximize the growing space in our funny little garden.

Thursday, September 25, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

Now just what is a cudgel, my dear? Is it similar to a ballette? Whatever it is, your zuc looks amazing! xoxo

Tuesday, September 30, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Michelle, I invented "ballette" but cudgel really is a word:



Main Entry:
1cud·gel Listen to the pronunciation of 1cudgel
Pronunciation:
\ˈkə-jəl\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English kuggel, from Old English cycgel; perhaps akin to Middle High German kugele ball
Date:
before 12th century

: a short heavy club

Have fun!

Thursday, October 02, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks! I learn something new from you all the time!

Saturday, October 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home