Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Blessings of Orangette

There are reasons why I read Orangette regularly and await each week's new post with anticipation. That girl can write!

She makes even simple dishes sound like a piece of heaven and often gives the reader insight into her life while writing about what she's cooking this week. She gives me inspiration to try dishes I might never otherwise attempt. I find that if Molly says they are good, they are really, really good!

An example is these roasted tomatoes stuffed with rice, about which she blogged last week. I've tried stuffed peppers, zucchinis and mushrooms but I had never tried stuffing tomatoes, except fresh ones filled with shrimp salad or the like. The dish was so simple that I actually had all the ingredients (except the fresh basil, which I borrowed from a neighbor) on hand so I followed Molly's stern orders and tried them out.

These are killer tomatoes. Absolutely rich tasting, despite the simple ingredients. The tomato shells relax and turn a little sloppy in the oven but they retain their beautiful colors. I used three different kinds of heirloom tomatoes and all were lovely, just perfect beside whatever else you're serving, or terrific on their own. Molly's recipe, which she borrowed from the Wednesday Chef (I love that about the interweb - trading recipes with friends you've never met) asks for fine bread crumbs but I went for coarse ones just to be contrary, and either would be fine.

The last few blessings of really ripe tomatoes are upon us - make the most of yours by preparing them this way!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I saw that post too and it inspired me to make some tomatoes stuffed with my left-over tabouli. Oh boy, those were sure good; the already nicely spiced bulgar wheat tasted equally good roasted inside a farmer's market tomato.

Saturday, October 04, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

I just read that post and thought: Oh those look and sound delicious - I should follow Molly's orders! She definitely knows her stuff! Do you have any idea if tomatoes are year round (and worth eating year round is the key question) here? They've been here since I got here, but they definitely aren't tasting quite as rich these days, but they're still quite good. (and why don't any of them smell like a tomato????)

Saturday, October 04, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

These are gorgeous, and I'll bet they were scrumptious! You are right about enjoying the tomatoes while they last.

Saturday, October 04, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, in today's post, note that I added the last little bit of your tabouli to the B'sketti. :-)

Michelle, Hawaiian tomatoes are notoriously bad - either shipped from the Mainland or grown on soils ill suited for tomato ranching. However, I have had good ones there, usually from a friend's garden or from a farmer's market.

Anna, yes, amazingly flavorful and unexpected from such very simple ingredients.

Monday, October 06, 2008  
Blogger Molly said...

I haven't been the best at keeping up with my favorite blogs lately, so I'm a little late in seeing this! But thank you so much, m'dear, for saying such sweet things about me! It was so good to see you over my birthday weekend. I am still having fun with all the little trinkets and treats you gave me... xo

Tuesday, October 07, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

What fun to have a comment from my first and favorite food blogger! Glad you enjoyed the trinkets and the party. We loved being included! Hugs to the handsome Brandon!

Tuesday, October 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home