Monday, January 12, 2015

Toasty Treat

Here's another little relic from before My Beloved was attacked by the Sciatica Monster. My older brother and his wife were visiting just before Christmas and, being the food lovers we all are, we went up to Yountville to have a sumptuous lunch at Bouchon. While we were in the Napa Valley, we also went to the CIA's culinary store and spent far too much money on wonderful things.

My Beloved bought me a new knife to replace the one I broke the tip off doing something stupid, and a smaller paring knife, too. They are so sharp that I promptly cut my finger using one of them. Must improve my chopping technique when using these splendid new blades.

We had a great time perusing the aisles and trying out all kinds of gadgets that even my capacious drawers don't have room for. For kitchen freaks, this is a fun place to spend an hour or so. And, when we went to check out, My Beloved showed me his favorite find, a set of three bags that you can use in your toaster to make grilled cheese sandwiches without getting gooey cheese all over the inside of your toaster!  Ingenious!

So, of course, we had to try them right away. I assembled the sandwiches just as I would to cook them in a pan, then slid them (somewhat awkwardly) into the sleeves, popped them into the toaster, and pressed the slider. I have to admit that there is a tendency for the cheese to slide out of the bread before it warms, but if you get it in there just right, it will stay. I toasted them just long enough to lightly brown the bread, then popped them up and, lo and behold!, they actually were toasty and gooey and just delicious! By cracky, it actually works!

If I was writing this before Christmas as I had expected to be, I'd be recommending them to you as stocking stuffers for your Beloved, but that ship has sailed for another year. How about for your Valentine?  I mean, what says "LOVE" better than toasty, gooey, warm and crispy cheese sandwiches?


4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I know I must stay away from there. I can't get out of Sur la Table without running up the credit cards. Gosh knows I would bankrupt us there!

Tuesday, January 13, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, it wasn't a cheap day, that's for sure. But it was a fine one!

Tuesday, January 13, 2015  
Blogger Diane said...

Nice to have you back here. Oh, those kitchen stores, they just do not let us leave without some new wonder for our kitchens. And I think that beautiful new kitchen needs a few new things.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, yes, I thought so, too! :-D

Wednesday, January 14, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home