Friday, December 12, 2014

Soupsville

I got so excited about my turkey stuffing soup that when it was time to roast the weekly chicken around here, I stuffed it, too, and knew I would add that to the soup I made from the chicken bones. After living with me all these years, My Beloved understands that he is never to discard poultry bones of any kind - I always want to make them into broth, if not immediately into soup.

This chicken was on the fast track to Soupsville. It has been rainy here and a little chilly, although we can hardly complain since we need the water desperately and what we call chilly people in the Midwest call a welcome thaw at this time of year. It's good soup weather, in any case.

In addition to the leftover stuffing, I added some wild rice to this soup, too, for that chewy, nutty flavor. And some fresh veggies at the last few minutes, so they were bright and colorful and lent another texture.

I won't go into how to make chicken stock from bones - the interwebs are filled with easy recipes and you'll find one you like best - but I will urge you always to do this when you have finished your chicken. If nothing else, you'll have that as a base for future meals or to take to friends when you hear they have caught a miserable cold.

Next stop, Soupsville.


2 Comments:

Blogger Donald Kinney said...

Soup sounds good to me -- I used to buy whole chickens and do something "approximate", whereby I used every last bit of the bird, but these days I buy only boneless chicken breasts so I haven't done the soup thing for a while. --Oh, by the way, Zoomie, I stopped adding to the blog (AphotoAday) but it will still be up for posterity. The blog was becoming a bit too time consuming, as I have a couple new projects going now --more on those later. All the best to you, Zoomie.

Saturday, December 13, 2014  
Blogger Zoomie said...

A photo, I'm sorry not to be seeing new work from you but I know what you mean about blogs being time consuming. Best of luck in your new endeavors.

Saturday, December 13, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home