Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Best L'il Onion Rings, Too

Good news for barbecue lovers!  The Best Lil Porkhouse now has two locations! They opened in the old Max's building in Corte Madera, and kept their wonderful, tiny spot in San Rafael, as well. I wasn't in a mood to cook, having had a session in the dentist's chair earlier in the day (all is well and minimal discomfort, but I always like to treat myself when I've been a good girl at the dentist), so I proposed a trip across the bridge to the new Porkhouse and he readily assented.

He ordered the brisket sandwich, and it was giant!  Lots of thick, tender slices between a nice bun, a little dry on its own but perfect when slathered with one of their several choices of sauces. With a dish of decadent mac 'n' cheese on the side (unctuous cheese and crispy bits, too. Oh, heaven!), it was a hearty meal. No stepping on the scales after that meal - we'll wait a few days!

I was tempted by the trio of sliders, one pork, one brisket, and one chicken. Killer. Absolutely killer. I loved all three flavors, although the brisket again needed the addition of a sauce. My onion rings side came with a horseradish dipping sauce, so I poured that onto the brisket and it was perfect. 

Oh, and speaking of onion rings?  A must-have!  My Beloved frequently orders onion rings, so I frequently taste his, usually to disappointment. The "modern" way of preparing them is with a thick batter similar to fish and chips, heavy with oil once it comes out of the fryer. But these were a revelation of rings!  Crisp, yes!  Greasy, no!  The coating crunched between the teeth with a satisfying snap, revealing the soft onion inside - lots of sweet onion flavor, which is sadly lacking from the greasy ones. I'd go back for the onion rings alone.

The waiter was young and friendly - a nice kid. The atmosphere is very casual (they have rolls of paper towels on each table as much-needed napkins) and they play blessedly quiet music so conversation is easy and relaxed. The portions are gigantic and delicious. While we'd love to return weekly, there is no way our waistlines or our hearts would survive frequent trips there. But, as an occasional treat, I couldn't ask for better. My fingers still smelled deliciously of smoke for hours afterward.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Everyone seems to love this place. One of these days.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, you would, too. Good value for the price and delicious (if infinitely fattening) food.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013  
Blogger Toons said...

Looks like a trip to Corte Madera is in my future. The joint that was there before them was about as bad a place as you could get without being closed down!. Jes and I still joke about how bad that place was, just sayin...

Tuesday, December 17, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, I was disappointed in its predecessor, too - a stain on the Max's chain, most of which are really, really good! Hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home