Monday, December 9, 2013

Soup Weather

One of the attractions of life in the San Francisco bay area is the evenness of the weather. We are buffered for the most part from extremes of heat and cold by the close proximity of the ocean. The farther away from the ocean you go, the higher and lower the temperatures range. Because we live right by the bay, we rarely get above 75 degrees F in the day, and only rarely below 40 degrees F at night, even in what passes for winter here.  Oh, we have the occasional scorcher and, like this week, the occasional cold snap, but for the most part the weather is ridiculously even.

Last week, was a different story. We had a real cold snap and the overspray from the watering system in our garden actually froze on the deck!  I was quite surprised - in fact, I went over to feel it for myself, just to make sure it was truly frost. It was sufficiently unusual for both My Beloved and I, independently, to decide to record it on camera. 



We may actually don a coat at times like this, and even gloves. Imagine that! This is soup weather. 

So, having finished the last bowl of turkey soup from Thanksgiving last week, when I got out of the dentist's chair, I went to Comforts in San Anselmo for a bowl of their wonton soup. It's very filling with fresh bok choy, thinny-thin noodles, slices of mushroom, and wonderfully tasty turkey-ginger-shrimp wontons immersed in a flavorful broth. Colorful and fragrant, a big bowl of this will warm you right down to your toes.

I imagine that those of you who are reading this in places where there is real winter are shaking your heads at this California wuss. I used to be tough like you when I lived in western New York state, but nearly 20 years here have made me soft. 

I'm not sorry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

We had 22 degrees here. I have been scrapping Avrils windshield daily. I should have brought some heat from Hawaii. The soup looks wonderfully warming.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, we haven't gotten that cold here, but cold enough to finally kill off my tomato plant.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home