Monday, November 18, 2013

Franks And Beans

I grew up in a house with an elegant mother. She was the kind of woman who actually changed clothes for dinner, who ate with her sterling flatware every day, who used her best china daily, and who insisted on good table manners from her brood of somewhat less elegant children. She often despaired of her four heathens.

I was the worst.

I have always preferred a big steak to petit fours. Give me meatloaf rather than soufflé. I like spare ribs, finger-lickin' chicken, and corn on the cob. 

And hot dogs. Especially hot dogs. I am a hot dog connoisseur. 

Last weekend, we drove down to Alameda with a threefold mission. To deliver some Hanukkah gelt as a surprise for Sari and Jeff (Thanksgivukkah is fast approaching). To explore the dog park there with our buddy Cora (she had a fine time barking, chasing the dogs who were chasing balls and frisbees, and just generally being a dog for a change instead of our beloved child). And to go to Baron's to select some freezer meats - we love Baron's.

Our errands completed, we were in search of some lunch. I noted a sign on the meat counter that pointed down the hall to a small seating area - Baron's has added a sandwich shop!  With the promise of a Black Dragon sandwich, we hurried down the hall to place our orders. Black Dragon is their signature spice rub, usually offered in a marinated tri-tip roast that causes major swooning among our guests when we serve it. It is made up of many different spices, reportedly including pepper and coffee. 

When we got there, however, we noted other even more delightful offerings so we ordered those. My Beloved ordered their hot roast beef sandwich with caramelized onions and, to my delight, they had their house made hot dogs so, of course, I had to try one. That hot dog was really delicious, snapping with juicy flavor and served on a fresh, firm bun from the Feel Good Bakery in the same building. 

But I also ordered some baked beans. 

Now, you and I know what to expect from baked beans - sweet, soft, nice-but-not-spectacular, right?  Well, not in this case - these were Black Dragon beans, dark, reddish-brown beans seasoned with the same flavors as that eye-rolling, tongue-tingling tri-tip. They were not at all sweet, just deeply spicy and grown up. If regular franks and beans are for kids, these are franks and beans for really big kids.

My elegant mother would probably have turned up her nose at "tube steak" and beans. And she'd have been missing a treat.


5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

love your little vignette of your mom. and you have a way of describing food that makes me hungry every time!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I like a good hot dog myself. I just found out that Zog's Dogs closed. It was a little shack right at the corner of Post and Market, next to that fabulous Japanese store that I showed you the last time you were over. Their hot dogs were To Die For. I would get a different one each time -- kind of a monthly treat - and chow down like I hadn't eaten in 100 years. I guess I will have to check out Rosemunde on Haight Street. People say that their dogs are good too. My grandmother used to make a Cajun style bean dish with spicy sausage - kind of a New Orleans version of Boston Baked Beans. Except that we did not allow any references to those D***med Yankees in her household. Sausage, beans and fried okra - some of the better gifts from the South.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Closing of Zog's Dogs http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/nevius/article/Many-frankly-steamed-over-closing-of-Zog-s-Dogs-4992244.php#/0

Tuesday, November 19, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I did read about that closing in this morning's paper and was sorry I had never tried their dogs.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home