Monday, November 4, 2013

Two-fer

Do you like cilantro? I gather you either do or you really, really don't. I didn't, at first. It is ubiquitous in California, served with all kinds of foods, not just Mexican. To me, it tasted like soap. In fact, I nicknamed it "soapwort," and carefully picked it off or out of anything it was served with. Not my favorite herb - in fact, it ranked just off the bottom of my list of faves.

Slowly, over the years I have learned to appreciate it. I now love it in guacamole - that wonderful avocado dish just isn't quite complete without it, in my view. It's also good in a variety of dishes from soft tacos to salads.

But it has a drawback - it's not an easy keeper. I can't tell you the number of times I have looked for mine in the vegetable drawer and found a plastic bag full of slime instead.  Ugh. 

Last week, I bought a new bunch and it was honestly so fresh and lovely that I couldn't resist filling my prettiest vase, a gift from my pals Wenirs and Mark, with water and sticking the cilantro in it to enjoy on the kitchen counter. It is of the springiest green and those lacy leaves let the light pass right through them. 

Lo and behold! it lasted a full ten days on the counter. Not wrapped. Not refrigerated. Nothing but water added to the vase once or twice to keep its feet wet. I'm tickled pink with this discovery.  I got a two-fer, pretty leaves to brighten the kitchen and fresh herbs to brighten my meals for a week.


11 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Outstanding! I have the same problem with spoilage and will give it a try.

Monday, November 04, 2013  
Anonymous jann said...

Love the idea and the vase.

Monday, November 04, 2013  
Anonymous jann said...

Love the idea and the vase.

Monday, November 04, 2013  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I like cilantro reasonably well but will often leave it out of recipes since as you say, it never seems to keep. NExt time I will do as you did and store it in a vase.

Monday, November 04, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, let me know how it goes! Hope it works for you, too.

Jan, yes, love them both, too.

Hungry Dog, we've been eating a lot of soft tacos, and it's especially good in those.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013  
Blogger Diane said...

I love discoveries. Especially, a cool one like this.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, serendipity at its best!

Wednesday, November 06, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Cilantro in a blue vase - inspiring my next painting. Plus a way to keep it fresh because I also have had it turn into slime more times than I can count.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, be sure to post the painting when you have finished it - I'd love to see it!

Thursday, November 07, 2013  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I'm one that doesn't like it... I even planted it thinking maybe I would like my own LOL.... Most herbs will do fairly well treated like cut flowers, but 10 days is wonderful. Maybe I'll try some again...

Saturday, November 09, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katie, it took me a few years to learn to like it. I hope you will grow to enjoy it, too.

Sunday, November 10, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home