Friday, May 3, 2013

Update

Just a little update on the new grill. It turned out a lovely bone-in pork loin roast with thyme the other day. I cooked it on my version of indirect heat - coals in one side of the firebox and the roast on the other on a sheet of doubled-up foil to protect the bottom. I didn't want to add water (and, hence, steam) to the cooking and this method has worked well for me in previous grills, so I left out the pan of water under the roast. I was happy to see that it works in the new one, too. The roast was richly browned on the outside but moist, and palest petal pink on the inside. Perfect.

I think the grill and I are finally becoming friends.

And, by the way, if you haven't discovered the affinity that thyme has for pork, you are missing a treat. When I read about that in Jacques Pepin's "Essential Pepin," I was skeptical but tried it on faith. I was rewarded.


3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Yes, thyme is wonderful. Good to hear you and the grill are becoming friends. It all sounds so yummy.

Friday, May 03, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

Nom nom nom! Be one with the grill!

Saturday, May 04, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, it has been a struggle with the grill, but a couple of successes have raised my hopes.

Greg, ha, yes, I will try to be "one" with it, if it will try to meet me half way!

Saturday, May 04, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home