Monday, April 29, 2013

Udder Indulgence

The other day, I moseyed on up to Petaluma to have lunch and to poke through the thrift shops with my cousin Jan. We have a thing for thrift shops. I have found more cool stuff in thrift shops than you can imagine. A solid brass silent valet. The desk I use every day. And, this time, a pair of bamboo tongs priced at $1.50 but on sale. I spent $.82 and had a fine day. What more could one ask?

And, on to lunch!

I love hot dogs - in fact, one of the main reasons I go to baseball games is to get hot dogs. So, after the shopping, we went for lunch at a place that the darling Rebecca Sartain had told Jan about, Roy's Chicago Dogs @ the Yard, a small restaurant in the Petaluma stockyard. Mercifully, no sales of sad animals the day we were there. I love hot dogs but, call me wimpy, I don't want to see the pigs they come from while I'm eating them. 

Roy's serves great hot dogs and Polish sausages with an amazing variety of toppings available. If you are in doubt about what to order, several suggestions for unusual combinations are written by previous customers on the walls. I ordered a classic dog with mustard, ketchup, and their neon green relish on a poppy seed bun. It was everything I always hope a hot dog will be. But, the real reason I went is that they serve bacon milk shakes.  

Yes, you heard that correctly. BACON shakes.

I had to try one.

And, there it is, up there in the photo. A vanilla shake topped with whipped cream and bacon bits. As I sipped my way through the shake, little bits of crisp, salty bacon came up through the wide barrel of the straw, embedded like journalists with the Army. 

It was good, but it could have been even better. Next time, I'm going to ask for a coffee shake, with extra coffee syrup, hold the whipped cream but keep the bacon. I'm going to call it Breakfast of Champions, and this one's going on the wall.




7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

That place rocks!

Monday, April 29, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Don't worry, those dogs are beef. I don't even think there are piggies in P-luma.
Nice to hear about this place. I think I'll take Cranky there for my birthday.

Monday, April 29, 2013  
Anonymous jann said...

It was Rebecca Sartain's suggestion, but it was all good.

Monday, April 29, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, it does - lively music, as well as good food!

Cookiecrumb, if you go, I wish you'd write about it. I always miss your clever, snarky posts.

Jann, ah, I didn't know that. I thought it was Jim's. Must give credit where it's due.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I love hot dogs... I haven't had a decent (or any) hot dog in years! Not here. We have fantastic sandwiches, but no hot dogs. State Fairs have good ones, too.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, I'll bet you have a hot dog whenever you return to the US. :-)

Tuesday, April 30, 2013  
Blogger Rebecca said...

It was a Team Lunch which led me to this hotdog gem. The boys out-voted the girls on where to go and boy-oh-boy, were they right!

Friday, May 03, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home